Black Mountain Bursary South Africa 2020-2021
ABOUT THE COMPANY – BLACK MOUNTAIN
Black Mountain Mining (BMM), owned by Exxaro Resources and Vedanta-Zinc International (VZI), is located in the Northern Cape Province of South Africa. The mine has been operating since 1980, but was acquired by Vedanta Resources from Anglo American in 2010.
BMM is currently comprised of a processing plant and 2 underground shafts (Swartberg Shafts and Deeps Shafts). The Swartberg shaft produces lead, copper and silver (as a by-product), while the Deeps shaft produces lead, copper, zinc and silver (as a by-product)
BMM employs approximately 1500 staff members at their current operations. They are one of the biggest private sector employers within the Northern Cape, and around 80% of their employees are originally from the Northern Cape.
ABOUT THE BURSARY PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED, COVERAGE VALUE & SERVICE CONTRACT
Black Mountain bursaries will be awarded within the following Mining related fields of study:
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Mine Survey
This is a full bursary which covers ALL study related expenses.
Once students have graduated, they must take up employment at Black Mountain – the service contract obligation includes one year of work for each year of funding received.
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Reside in areas surrounding the mine operation
- Completed Matric OR currently in Matric
- Studying or intend on studying within one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Studying or intend on studying full time at a recognised University or University of Technology in South Africa
- Proven financial need
- *Preference will be given to female students
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE BURSARY
You may apply in one of the following ways:
1) Online at: http://cw.gradx.net/
(You will need to register an account and then login to complete your application. The promo code to be used is: F2018)
2) By downloading and completing the Black Mountain Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
You will be required to submit copies of the following supporting documentation – if you are applying online: these documents must be uploaded to your online profile, if you are applying with the application form: you must attach copies of the documents and not originals (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application be disregarded):
- ID document (certified copy)
- Photograph (passport size)
- Grade 11 final results (current Matric students)
- Matric certificate (if completed Matric)
- Proof of admission into a tertiary institution
- Full academic record to date (current tertiary students)
If you are applying via the hard copy application form, your application must be submitted in one of the following ways:
1) Email: [email protected]
2) Fax: 086 609 7183
Career Wise (Pty) Ltd
PO Box 30632
None – submission of applications are open all year round and students are welcome to apply at any time.