Eligible students for loans for the academic year 2021/2022, admitted to pursue Postgraduate Degree Programmes must fulfill the General Eligibility Criteria set in 3.2 above.
14.1Postgraduate Students (Academic Staff)
In addition to the General Eligibility Criteria, applicants in this category must fulfill eligibility criteria specific to Postgraduate applicants’, which are:-
- Must hold a first Degree or an Advanced Diploma, with a minimum of Upper Second Class (for applicants pursuing Master Degrees) or Master Degree with minimum of Upper Second Class (for applicants pursuing PhD degrees);
- Must be academic members of staff, admitted to pursue postgraduate studies on fulltime basis, at an accredited Higher Education Institution in Tanzania;
- Must have been officially nominated by the employer, and obtained endorsement from the Vice
Chancellor/Principal/Provost/Rector of the respective institution;
- Must have started to repay their previous loans at least for an unbroken period of twelve months, or a lump sum of the same instalments if was previous loans beneficiary; and
- The employer must have signed the Financing Agreement between Higher Education Students’ Loans Board and respective Higher Education Institution.
Postgraduate Students Admitted At The Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST)
To strengthen national capacity in research, ICT and innovation;
HESLB issues loans to students admitted to pursue Master and PhD in Science related programmes offered at the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST).
Eligible students for loans for academic year 2021/2022, must fulfil General Eligibility Criteria set in 3.2 above.
In addition, applicants must fulfill eligibility specific requirements to postgraduate applicants in the NM-AIST category: –
- Must have been admitted at the Nelson Mandela
African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) to pursue Master or PhD programme in one of the under listed priority areas:
- Life Sciences;
- Mathematical & Computer Science Engineering;
- Information and Communication Science Engineering; and
- Materials, Energy, Water and Environmental Sciences.
- Must have been employees of Public Institutions
and worked for a minimum of two (2) years;
- Must be guaranteed by their employers
with respect to repayment of the loans;
- Must have started to repay their previous loans at least for an unbroken period of twelve months, or a lump sum of twelve instalments, if they were previous loan beneficiaries;
- Repayment for NM-AIST postgraduate students’ loans shall start immediately upon completion of the first year of study by monthly instalments deducted by employers from beneficiary’s salary and remitted to HESLB;
Postgraduate Students Admitted at Law School of Tanzania (LASCOT) Students
Law School of Tanzania students who are eligible for loans in the academic year 2021/2022 must meet the following conditions:
Must fulfil the General Eligibility Criteria set in Section 3.2 above.
In addition to the General Eligibility Criteria set in Section 3.2 above, applicants must fulfil eligibility criteria specific to the Postgraduate applicants at Law School of Tanzania (LASCOT) which are: –
- Must have graduated (with LLB Degree) within
Five (5 ) years (i.e. from 2017 to 2021;)
- Loans will be issued ONLY to NEEDY Applicants who were previous loan beneficiaries.
Loans for Law School students shall be issued to cover two items:
- Books and Stationery expenses;
- Tuition Fees
14.4 Applicable rates for Postgraduate Students
14.4.1 Meals and Accommodation (MA)
The Board may provide loans for Meals, Accommodation and Incidentals at the rate of TZS 10,000/= per day while on campus for theoretical instructions or in field for data collection.
14.4.2 Books and Stationery Expenses (BSE)
A maximum of TZS 500,000/= per annum for Books and Stationery may be granted to eligible students pursuing Master and PhD.
14.4.3 Tuition Fee (TF)
HESLB may provide tuition fee loans at 100% rate based on the rates charged by the respective Higher Education Institution.
14.4.4 Research Expenses (RE)
HESLB may provide loans at 100% rate for Research expenses in all fields, based on the rates applicable at HLI as may be endorsed from time to time. Applicable rates include a maximum of TZS 2,000,000/= per annum for Master Degree programme and a maximum of TZS 5,000,000/= per annum for a PhD Degree programme.
READ ALSO: JOBS IN TANZANIA
For more information Visit https://www.heslb.go.tz/