1.0 Background Information
The Inter-University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) is a strategic institution of the East African Community (EAC) responsible for coordinating the development of human resources and research in the EAC Higher Education Institutions. The main objectives of IUCEA are to (i) facilitate networking among universities in East Africa, and with universities outside the region; (ii) provide a forum for discussion on a wide range of academic and other matters relating to higher education in East Africa; and (iii) facilitate maintenance of internationally comparable education standards in East Africa so as to promote the region’s global competitiveness in higher education.
In order to fulfill its current mandate and to meet all its objectives and planned activities, IUCEA now wishes to recruit one staff at the Secretariat for the post of Accounts Assistant (Payroll) (G5). Applications are invited from qualified individuals from the EAC Partner States.
Position: Accounts Assistant (Payroll) (G5)
The main purpose of job: Maintain Account codes in the financial accounting system, processed staff payroll, pay staff salaries, and make payments to suppliers as directed.
2.0 Duties and Responsibilities:
- Process monthly payroll by ensuring that employees are paid salaries by the 24th of each month. This entails updating the payroll by ensuring that all deductions and refunds to staff through the salaries are done.
- Maintain and update staff bank details for salary payments.
- Prepare journal import for posting salaries to sun system.
- Calculate and deposit gratuity for staff on a monthly basis.
- Make payments to suppliers. This entails receiving invoices from the administration office and processing payments, advance payment for life insurance and medical cover check all lodged documents and respective invoices to confirm validity and approval before processing payment.
- Initiate payment vouchers and forward them for checking by other officers.
- Process payments and allowances to staff Including payment of gratuity to staff upon completion of the contract, salary advances and house advances, leave allowance, settlement allowance, Airtime, per diems, imprests and fund for retirement among others.
- Reconcile suppliers accounts, housing, and salary advances accounts, and current accounts
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly reports on outstanding suppliers’ invoices.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Management from time to time.
3.0 Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounts, Finance, Business Administration, or Related field with CPA II / ACCA II or relevant accounting certification.
- Minimum of 5 years working in an accounting environment.
4.0 Skills and competencies:
Competency in Accounting System SUN, Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Attention to detail and ability to multitask. High level of integrity
5.0 Eligibility for applications:
Only applicants from the East African Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
6.0 Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
7.0 Fringe Benefits:
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
8.0 Equal Opportunity:
The EAC is an equal-opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
9.0 Age Limit
Applicants should not be more than 55 years as the EAC retirement age is 60 years.
10.0 Submission of Applications
The deadline for submission of application forms [https://www.iucea.org/fy2t] to the IUCEA Secretariat is 30th November 2022. Application forms should filled out online accompanied by the following:
- Certified copies of the applicant’s degree award.
- Up-to-date and comprehensive Curriculum Vitae.
- Addresses of three referees, one of which should be of the current immediate supervisor.
- Any other relevant supporting documents
Applications marked “APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF ACCOUNTS ASSISTANT (PAYROLL).
Complete the online form at this link https://www.iucea.org/fy2t and submit an application and the required documents electronically to the following address:
- IUCEA will not accept hand-delivered applications. Applicants must complete application forms as indicated above.
- Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.