- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Dar Es Salaam
- Position Title:
- Administrative Assistant (CDC) (All Interested Candidates)
- Open Period:
- 11/29/2022 – 12/13/2022Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 0105 8
- TZS TSh38,384,127
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time – 40 hours a week, work schedule
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
2inDar Es Salaam, TZ
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Administrative Assistant at CDC.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
1. Ensuring efficiency and effectiveness through visitors and calendar management 30%
The job holder is the focal point of contact and administrative support for the OD. Efficiency and effectiveness is achieved, in part, through management of CD, DCD and ADP calendars (e.g., adding, changing, and deleting meetings on the schedule, reminding leadership of upcoming appointments, providing background information related to the visitor and meeting), coordinating logistics for OD visits/meetings (e.g., scheduling meeting rooms and times, facilitating security screening of visitors, canceling/rescheduling meetings immediately upon notification, providing excellent professionalism and customer service to visitors). The job holder should anticipate any issues or problems relevant to the smooth execution of pre-, during and post meeting events.
2. Management of Meetings and Conferences 25%
The job holder ensures meeting agendas are developed prior to meetings and meeting logistics are arranged days prior to the meeting/visit/conference. The job holder organizes and arranges logistics for meetings/conferences as necessary, including, but not limited to booking meeting/conference venues, printing of needed materials, coordinating participant invites, and following up with invitees/participants. The job holder takes meeting notes and notes in OD meetings, all-hands meetings, and as required by leadership. The incumbent arranges transportation for the CD, DD and ADP for in-town meetings and coordinates with appropriate CDC Tanzania staff transportation and travel arrangements for official international travel.
3. Mail and Correspondences 20%
The job holder reviews incoming official mail routed CDC via other USG agencies, partners, and the US Mission. The job holder determines the appropriate further routing of mail to reach a successful and appropriate close of the mail request. The job holder uses discretion to determine what should be routed to the CD and DD for information or action. The job holder must have excellent communication skills both verbal and written. In addition, the job holder must ensure grammatical accuracy and clarity of all correspondence by reviewing all outgoing communications from the OD. This includes all correspondence signed by the leadership. The incumbent must also keep up to date with all key CDC partners and stakeholders to understand the diplomatic routing of correspondence and required Government of Tanzania protocols.
4. General Administrative Tasks 15%
The job holder provides general administrative tasks such as faxing, mailing, filing and photocopying as required by leadership. The job holder maintains an electronic filing system (using a Microsoft Office application) and a paper-based filing system when necessary, and ensures files are organized and maintained on a constant basis. The incumbent maintains and frequently updates a database of complete names and contact details for principals of bilateral/multilateral organizations, implementing partners, Government of Tanzania officials, USG agency officials, US Mission to Tanzania officials, and civil service representatives.
Incumbent coordinates and logs all vehicle requests for CDC staff, TDY staff and consultants with motor pool staff at the Embassy. Job holder arranges alternate transport as necessary when US Embassy motor pool is not available or is not in USG best interest. Incumbent communicates with staff on all vehicle arrangements and monitoring successful implementation of vehicle requests.
5. Travel 10%
The job holder is responsible for ensuring that plans and logistics related to travel for the CD, DD and ADP meet the policies and standards of the U.S mission and the CDC, as well as provide adequate support to achieve the objectives for travel. The job holder arranges transportation for in country and international trips for the CD, DD and ADP. The job holder prepares travel requests and follows through with obtaining travel authorizations. The job holder in collaboration with the embassy and CDC travel preparers, arranges and confirms all travel plans and procedures for the leadership. The job holder drafts trip schedules/itineraries, prepares briefing documents for site visits, and ensures that site visit logistics are determined and executed. The job holder also arranges transportation and expediter services at international destinations. The incumbent will support all entitlement travel for the CD, DD and ADP and their eligible family members. The job holder ensures the timely processing of travel requests and vouchers.
Note: This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by incumbent. Incumbent will be required to perform other duties as assigned by the agency.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three years’ of progressively responsible work experience in secretarial or administrative assistant is required.
- Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Management, Communications or English is required.
- LANGUAGE: Mandatory: Fluent (written/spoken, including the ability to translate) in English and Fluent in Kiswahili (written/spoken, including the ability to translate) is required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- The U.S. Mission in Tanzania offers compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- Other Information:
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
The US Mission to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania values a workforce of different backgrounds, cultures, and viewpoints. We strive to create a welcoming environment for all and we invite applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.
For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Copy of Degree
- Copy of Transcript
- Proof of citizen (Voters ID, NIDA ID or Passport)
- Copy of work permit (if not a TZ national)
- Other documents (if any)
- Other Documents 2 (if any)
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• Passport copy
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.
The deadline for submitting the application is 14 December 2022.