The Area Manager will provide strategic leadership and day-to-day management to the field operations in Tanzania to ensure that they are effective and meet the designated goals and objectives. S/he will lead the team in the development, implementation, oversight and evaluation of all programming, with emphasis on tracking and reporting, sharing lessons learned, resource acquisition and quality control, as well as staff management and development.
Roles and responsibilities include:
- Establishes an atmosphere of responsibility for the mission of the organization and accountability to the stakeholders; establishes clear expectations by which staff and partners are measured
- Collaborate with implementing partners on implementation of programs; ensures that monitoring & evaluation, continuous improvement and technical assistance is an integral part of the implementation
- Builds positive and productive relations with donors, local partners, communities and authorities
- Builds and manages relationships with government, donors, local authorities and the general public to optimize marketing and funding
- Responsible for providing technical assistance and oversight in the development and management of budgets, financial reporting and audits for projects
- Provides capacity building opportunities to partner organizations; ensures that partner agencies are accountable and compliant with organizational policies/procedures and local laws/regulations
- Manage public relations in-country, including arranging schedules for visitors and media groups, transport, lodging, arranging of appointments and orientation to projects
- Assess the effectiveness of current projects and identify possibilities for new projects in-country
- Prepare project proposals and budgets, seeking to diversify funding and other resources
- Assist in the development of strategies for long-term or additional interventions
- Maintain familiarity with the requirements and compliance procedures of current and new donors
- Manage and evaluate operations budgets, project funding, expenditures and accomplishment of objectives
- Develop annual / quarterly / monthly operating plans and participate in the formulation of management plans and the regional/country strategy
- Prepare financial status and project progress reports, and other information as required for the donors, Programme Director and Regional Director
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
You meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in community development/social science discipline, conflict resolution or equivalent relevant work experience
- 8+ years experience managing development programs in an NGO, preferably in a technical area, community development and/or peace building programming
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Demonstrated interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social and political issues.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in areas such as: project, budget and resource management
- Demonstration of knowledge of program design; grant acquisition and management; providing oversight and accountability of grant funded programs; resource stewardship, and cross functional coordination
- Computer proficiency in general office software (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook)
- Experience in resource mobilization, coordination and negotiation
- Experience in management and knowledge of basic accounting methods and procedures
- Strong and proven people management skills
- Experience in project design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Good public relations and public speaking skill
- Willingness to spend a percentage of their time in the field visiting projects sometimes under difficult living conditions
This position will close on 31 January 2020.
To apply, interested candidates should send the following items:
- current resume
- cover letter
Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please. Please see our website www.sfcg.org for full details of our work.
All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Shared Humanity – Empathy – Impartiality – Inclusivity – Courage – Hope – Humility – Audacity. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud.