“Sometimes in life there is that moment when it’s possible to make a change for the better. This is one of those moments.”
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 19 countries and supporting close to 6,000 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to facilitate access to services for those already infected.Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. With a growing global staff of over 1,000—nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to implement prevention, care, and treatment; further advance innovative research and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide.
Job Title: Associate Director, Evaluation and Research
Immediate Supervisor: Country Director
Location: Dar es Salaam
Job grade: 8
The Associate Director, Evaluation and Research (ADER), supervised by the Country Director, will lead lead and manage the EGPAF/Tanzania’s portfolio of research and evaluation activities including the generation of proposals and other requests for funding related to HIV clinical, implementation, or program effectiveness research.
Working in close coordination with the Technical and Strategic Information (SI) teams, the ADER will directly contribute to generation of a strong evidence base to improve the effective delivery of quality programs to further the mission of EGPAF/Tanzania, improving the lives people and communities infected and affected by HIV in Tanzania and beyond.
The ADER will develop evaluation concepts, proposals and protocols with the aim of identifying improved technical assistance approaches, service delivery models and/or patient
outcomes. Working closely with members, the ADER will support internal program optimization evaluations.
The ADER will lead EGPAF contributions to, and facilitation of analytic collaboration with the (government of Tanzania (GoT), developing concepts and capacity through collaboration with GoT counterparts, and leading or facilitating the data analysis and dissemination of findings locally and internationally (meetings, abstracts, manuscripts).
The ADER will contribute to building capacity of EGPAF technical and SIE team members in ffiigher level data analytics, and data interpretation. The ADER evaluation design, specifically with development, data capture systems, evaluation datasets. He/she will alio serve as Principal or co-investigator on selected protocols. The ADER must be able to work effectively within a mull i-disciplinary team within and outside of EGPAF (particularly v/ith GoT counterparts).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee and coordinate operations research protocol
- Research conceptualization a o Writing/amending protocol approval processes o Tracking study participat recruitment, follow-up, withd o Managing budgets o Interpreting and disseminate o Abstract and manuscript writ
- Direct and oversee research (human subjects training, approvals/progress/closure, etc.), liaising with the EGPAF to ensure all human subjects’ in place and all protocols und£ U.S. and Tanzania IRB review
- Work closely with appropria and EGPAF to develop ana the “Reaching 90-90-90” Outcomes Protocol (PPOP).
- Lead in preparation of study reports, abstracts and manuscripts and dissemination of results at district, national, and international levels
- Collaborate with the global Research team and research teams across EGPAF programs to leverage global expertise, share experiences, and facilitate multi-country research activities
- Work with CD to ensure research is well resourced and support solicitation of new funding for Foundation priority research areas
- Any other responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- MD, PhD or similar advanced degree in Epidemiology or Biostatistics
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in health research in developing countries, including protocol development, design of surveys, data collection, data analysis, and scientific writing
- Experience in scientific writing including presentations in local and international conferences
- Strong mentorship skills in research and evaluation including grant and proposal writing, data analysis and scientific writing
- Strong evidence in managing and conducting research and dissemination of research products through publication in local and international peer reviewed journals
- Experience with soliciting research approvals from local and national review bodies
Essential Skills and Knowledge
- Knowledge of protection of human subjects in research and ethics regulations to ensure compliance with all local and international requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of HIV services, PMTCT, MCH, pediatric and adult HIV care and treatment
- Evidence of independent completion of complex data analyses using a common statistical package (STATA, SAS, SPSS, R) — published manuscripts, master’s dissertation, project reports, etc.
- Proficiency in data capture and data management, using Microsoft Access, Epi-lnfo, Kobo, ODK, etc
- Strong organizational skills, with ability to prioritize, take initiative and follow-through
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and build partnerships and consensus, within teams, governmental agencies and with other stakeholders.
- Proven ability to work effectively as member of dynamic team in fast-paced environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English and Kiswahili); strong critical thinking, problem solving and attentiveness to detail.
- Conducts work and him/herself with Integrity, commitment and respect for others
HOW TO APPLY
EGPAF is an equal opportunities employer and the position is open to all. Qualified candidates should submit a CV, cover letter and relevant certificates explaining how the experience detailed in the CV will contribute to the requirements of the position and references to EGPAF.
Submissions to be sent to:
Senior Human Resource Manager,
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation,
P.O. BOX 1628,
395 Ursino Park, Mwai Kibaki Road,
Morocco.Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Or e-mail: [email protected]
Closing date: January 31, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Total Jobs 49 Jobs
- Location Dar es Salaam