AKF has partnered with Global Affairs Canada, the Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE), and the World University Service of Canada (WUSC) to implement the “Accelerating Women Climate Entrepreneurs” (AWCE) initiative focused on addressing barriers and opportunities for women entrepreneurs to start and grow climate-related businesses in Sub-Saharan Africa. With a particular focus on the intersection between increased gender-lens investing and climate finance, the project seeks to improve entrepreneurial ecosystems that support growth oriented female entrepreneurs engaged in climate-related businesses.
The project also aims to generate an evidence base to inform pilot incubation initiatives in five Sub-Saharan African countries and develop a road map for international development audiences to provide further gender-responsive support to women climate entrepreneurs and intermediaries. AKF will pilot a model for supporting business acceleration initiatives in Tanzania.
The position will be based in Dar es Salaam with some in-country and overseas travel (20-30%). This position reports to the Program Manager for Economic Inclusion (Tanzania) and collaborates with core country staff, other AKF project teams, selected intermediaries, local government authorities, technical advisors, and consultants.
- Coordinate and monitor the day-to-day implementation of AKF’s country specific AWCE pilot.
- Manage contracts with selected intermediaries and other project service providers.
- Identify and facilitate access to expert technical assistance (internal and external) by local intermediaries to pilot new incubation and acceleration programming initiatives for women climate entrepreneurs, with particular focus on gender-lens investing and climate financing.
- Co-design key, context-specific improvements, and approaches into the selected intermediary’s programs for support to women climate entrepreneurs based on research and capacity strengthening plans.
- Lead on data collection and dissemination of the results and learnings from this pilot initiatives with intermediaries, project partners, international development stakeholders, and stakeholders of local the innovation ecosystem at large.
- Participate in the selection of women entrepreneurs from priority sectors as outlined by Tanzania’s national climate adaptation plans and strategies. These include agriculture, water, and energy, among others.
- Document the journey of selected women entrepreneurs to identify strengths and lessons to learn about the efficiency of the approaches and content provided, but also on persistent and emerging barriers in the ecosystem.
- Support network building and identify potential for collaboration within the local entrepreneurial and innovation ecosystem, including across AKF projects with similar initiatives and objectives.
- Developing timely and quality progress reports, public information items and/or publications for the project.
- Providing up-to-date information on the progress of the project implementation including successes, risks, and challenges with sound recommendations for response.
- Promoting gender-sensitive, inclusive, and active community participation in the development and implementation of the project activities.
Educations, Experience and Skills
- A Degree in business management/development, entrepreneurship, innovation management, climate finance, social impact investing or any other relevant qualification.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working within the innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem in Kenya or Tanzania, especially in relation to climate change i.e., incubation/acceleration initiatives, supporting entrepreneurs, mobilizing investors, etc.
- Experience working with and supporting women entrepreneurs/innovators, with demonstrated knowledge of their specific challenges and efforts to mitigate or eliminate said challenges.
- Good knowledge of the local innovation/entrepreneurship ecosystem and its actors.
- Excellent conceptual, research and analytic skills
- Demonstrated ability to identify and manage successful business and project partnerships.
- Competent in the use of MS Office software (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint, etc).
- Knowledge of digital data collection, information, and community of practice platforms is an advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – proficiency in English and Kiswahili is mandatory.
- Self-motivated, good organization and management skills including a demonstrated ability to prioritize workloads.
- Ability to work with multiple tasks, demands and deadlines, with a positive and constructive attitude under minimal supervision.
- Able to learn from and adapt to complex situations.
- Able to work both independently and within a team, in person and remotely.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV including contacts of three references, by 27th October 2021.
AKF is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.
Please apply via the AKDN Career Centre at www.akdn.org/careers/1880724
Closing date 27 October 2021