Business Development Workstream Coordinator
- Mwanza, Tanzania
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
The overall goal of SNV’s engagement in the Renewable Energy (RE) sector in Tanzania is to contribute to improve the livelihoods of the rural and peri-urban people by accelerating the dissemination and use of renewable energy products and services. SNV Tanzania is involved in three renewable energy sub-sectors: Domestic Biogas, Biomass Cooking Energy, and Solar with a variety of projects and cross-cutting initiatives.
SNV is the implementing agency for the Energising Development (EnDev) program in Tanzania. EnDev Tanzania focuses on two key project components: the development of markets and sustainable supply for improved cookstoves (ICS) as well as for small plug-and-play solar (picoPV) technology in rural and peri-urban areas in the Lake Zone, Northern Zone and throughout the Central and Southern Zones of Tanzania. SNV began implementation of the EnDev program in April of 2013 with the Tanzania Improved Cook Stoves (TICS) project. TICS works to build upon existing local ICS supply chains to initiate the production, distribution and sales of clean and marketable ICS options that meet the need of rural households. The project works closely with existing stove entrepreneurs to realise improved performance, quality and marketability of cook stove options. Through regular and verifiable sales monitoring undertaken by the program, emerging ‘cook stove champions’ are identified and availed access to advanced and individualized products and services in business development, marketing and production scaling.
In the third stage of the project (Quarter 4 of 2019-2022) the project aims at expanding its geographical area in six new regions, use a Behaviour Change Communication (BCC) approach to trigger demand for the JIKO MATAWI, use monetary incentives for the Champions of Champions to increase their production and sales capacity and hence transform their businesses from family into small/medium/semi industrial levels, and also continue working with its core producers in 14 regions of Tanzania. SNV is seeking to recruit a Business Development Workstream Coordinator to work closely with the EnDev III Programme Director to design and pilot new programme components take lead of Business Development Skills training and coaching with TICS producers and manage the Small Grants Fund workstream.
Responsibilities of the position:
- Workstream Design: The Senior BDS Advisor will work closely with the Programme Director and Cooking Component Manager and be responsible for designing new project elements of EnDev III. They will work closely with the other workstream coordinators to develop workstream strategies, workplans, budgets and execute/monitor new activities.
- Small Grants Fund Workstream Coordination: Work closely with the Cooking Component manager to design the implementation strategy for the Small Grants Fund for Champion ICS producers. Determine criteria for eligibility into the fund, guidelines for how funds are applied for and awarded and verification mechanisms. Manage the Small Grants Workstream for the duration of the project.
- Business Development Advisory Services: In coordination with other SNV advisors and local service providers (LSPs), provide advisory services to increase business development skills for improved cook stoves producers. Develop strategies to accelerate the transition from family enterprises to semi-industrial enterprises by enhancing marketing skills, supporting investment readiness, and creating market linkages.
- Linkages of ICS Supply Chain Actors: Facilitate linkages and relations between local rural and urban improved cook stove supply chain actors (producers, distributors, retailers) to develop and validate market access of appropriate cooking technologies to target consumer markets. Work closely with the BCC workstream coordinator to leverage the demand generated through the BCC workstream to advance Champion producers to new levels of business scale.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Verification: Develop monitoring framework Small Grants program and support the development of the monitoring framework for the BCC workstream. Collaborate with MERV advisor to support timely M&E work plans delivery for the Small Grants Fund and investments into champion producers.
- Network and Relationship Building: Build and maintain effective relationships with a). New and core producers/ stove enterprises in the project implementation areas, b). Government and local authorities
- Procurement and Finance: Support the Programme Director in managing major procurements (with specific focus on framework agreements and service contract), and programme reporting requirements.
- Gender Focus (Mainstreaming): In collaboration with SNV Gender expert to plan and execute gender mainstreaming activities in all the project interventions using approved PALS approach to project partners.
- Productive Use of Energy Component : In collaboration with Programme Director, the BD Advisor will provide support on the inception phase as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (Renewable Energy, Business Administration, Economics of Sustainable Development, Agro-economy, Rural development, etc.)
- 4+ years of working experience in (renewable) energy sector and/or relevant programme in or outside Tanzania.
- Technical knowledge of Improved Cooking Solutions
- Proven track record in Renewable Energy project implementation; teamwork and leadership; programme design, development and resource mobilisation.
- Work experience in private sector business and entrepreneurship and value chain development with a proven track record in pro-poor growth approaches taking into consideration social inclusion, gender and sustainability.
Desired Skills and attitude:
- A proactive and entrepreneurial individual who will explore and develop innovative approaches to achieve impact and results;
- Analytical skills combined with a practical and pragmatic approach oriented towards lasting results;
- Strong interpersonal and influence skills and experience of working in a matrix organization;
- Good team player, pragmatic, negotiator with solution orientated approach
- Readiness to live, work and travel in rural districts with minimal amenities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in English and Kiswahili, including reporting and presentation skills.
Contract Type: National
Contract Duration: 16-month initial term, with possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: 1st February 2019
Information Duty Station: Mwanza, Tanzania
Working at SNV:
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Energy experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How to Apply:
The vacacy will active up to 15th January 2020 and all application should be throght Smart Recruiters on the following link https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/SNV