The Centre for Research, Agricultural advancement, Teaching Excellence and Sustainability in Food and Nutritional Security (CREATES) hosted by the Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology (NM-AIST) in Arusha, Tanzania.The Centre is funded by the World Bank under its Eastern and Southern Africa Centres of Excellence (ACE II) Project. ACE II project development objective is to strengthen twenty-four selected Eastern and Southern Africa higher education institutions to deliver quality post-graduate education and build collaborative research capacity in the regional priority areas.
The CREATES provides a buzzing atmosphere of international and interdisciplinary research and education activities, novel technologies and private-public partnerships with the industry and the community at large as well as hands-on learning experience and evidence-based problem solving projects. CREATES encompasses novel curricula approaches, cutting-edge research facilities and highly skilled national, regional and international partners in various fields related to Life Sciences. CREATES encompasses four main streams, i.e., “Sustainable Agriculture”, “Food and Nutrition Sciences”, “Biodiversity Conservation and Ecosystem Management” as well as “Global Health and Biomedical Sciences”, which involves aspects of drug development and Nanoscience.
The CREATES is currently looking for a Centre Manager. We invite suitably qualified Tanzanians below the age of 45 years to apply to this position:-
CENTRE MANAGER-(1 POST)
Qualifications, knowledge and essential attributes:
Holder of a minimum of Master’s degree or equivalent qualification from an accredited institution majoring in the following area:-
- Project Planning, Management and Administration; added advantage would be experience in Project Planning, implementation and Budgeting, Monitoring and Evaluation, Report Writing Skills for local and international audiences including funding agencies (e.g. World Bank, AU projects, EU projects and any other major donors);
- At least five years of relevant work experience in a reputable international/ government organization(s) / project(s);
- Experience in Project Planning and Management with extensive (At least 10 years);
- Excellent organization, people management skills and a team player;
- Very good written and oral communication skills in English and Kiswahili;
- A high degree of computer competence and familiarity with modern software for budget preparation and management, data analysis and presentation;
- Self-motivation and ability to work under minimal supervision, including ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines when required;
- Confidence in dealing proactively with a range of project partners, including academic staff, students and diverse external clients, ability to motivate the team;
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and international teams;
- Positive and helpful attitude in responding to enquiries by program members and external clients;
- Willingness to learn new skills and adapt within the role; and
- Flexibility to work through setbacks and delays,
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Managing the administration of the Centre and its team;
- Managing the coordination of the partners and working groups engaged in the Centre work;
- Developing and maintaining a detailed project plan for the Centre;
- Managing project deliverables in line with the project plan;
- Recording and managing project issues and escalating where necessary;
- Resolving cross-functional issues at project level;
- Monitoring project progress and performance;
- Providing various status reports to the Centre Leader;
- Managing project training, outreach, program exchanges, workshops, student enrolment, research and teaching activities, short courses, sabbaticals, recruitment, conferences etc. in line with the budget;
- Liaises with, and updates progress to the Centre Leader / Deputy Centre Leader;
- Managing project and receiving monitoring and evaluation reports;
- Coordinating consultancy input within the defined budget;
- Working closely with the stakeholders and beneficiaries to ensure the Centre meets its objectives and deliverables;
- Coordinate and manage procurement and financial activities according to the Centre’s regulations;
- Work on any other tasks that will be assigned by Supervisor(s).
Duration of the contract:
Full time two years contract, with a probation period of six months. The position is renewal subject to satisfactory performance. Maximum duration is two (2) years but this may be extended subject to availability of funding.
- Basic Monthly Salary USD 1923.70
- CREATES FNS, Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and Technology [NM-AIST], Tengeru – Arusha, Tanzania.
- Centre Leader / Deputy Centre Leader, CREATES FNS
Mode of Application:
Eligible candidates possessing the above qualifications and attributes are advised to submit their applications including the following:-
- A cover letter in which you describe your abilities and motivation;
- Most recent Curriculum Vitae;
- Certified photocopies of relevant certificates and academic transcripts;
- Contact details: Telephone, E-mail and Postal Address; and
- Individuals currently employed in the Public Service should route their applications through their employers.
Deadline for application:
Deadline for application is 28th January, 2020. Recruitment will be as soon as possible.
Applications should be sent by either e-mail or via post address and should be addressed to:
Deputy Vice Chancellor-Planning, Finance and Administration,
The Nelson Mandela African Institution of Science and
P.O. Box 447,
E-mail: [email protected]
Note: Any other correspondence in response to this advertisement will not be dealt with.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted through their addresses/ e-mails/phones.
- Total Jobs 9 Jobs
- Location Arusha