Reports to: Head of Legal
Location: Dar es Salaam with offices in South Africa and the US.
UBONGO is Africa’s leading producer of kids’ edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localised, and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches over 27 million kids across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones. Our show’s Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 23 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French, Kinyarwanda, Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba, Hausa, Chichewa, and Juba Arabic.
We’re looking for a motivated, experienced and flexible Compliance Officer to assist in our Governance, Risk and Compliance function. You’ll work closely with our Head of Legal to assist and ensure that the UBONGO is conducting its operations in full compliance with all laws and regulations that pertain to its particular industry, as well as professional standards, accepted business practices, and internal policies and standards.
For this role internal liaison will be with all department unit heads within UBONGO and external liaison with external stakeholders such as regulatory entities.
- Operational Assistance
- Risk Management Assistance
- Audit Follow Up Assistance
- Work-flow, Processes and System Implementation
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Qualifications:
- A relevant bachelor’s degree in legal, business management, finance or a Certificate of Completion from an approved Paralegal Certification Program.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to be methodical and diligent.
- Relevant experience with risk management.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience is required for your application to be considered.
- Experience working with international NGOs, local civil society organisations, government, bilateral and multilateral donors in a multi-cultural, politically sensitive environment is an advantage.
- Analytical, problem solving skills.
- The ability to ‘stand firm’ and resist changes suggested by people who don’t understand the whole UBONGO business and whose ideas, if implemented will weaken the ability for the organisation to be managed thoroughly.
- The ability to see very quickly ‘what’s wrong’ and what needs to correct it.
- Demonstration of “presence” and excellent communication skills.
- Ability to mediate and assist in achieving consensus.
- Flexible and creative.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in drafting commercial agreements.
Click here for a more detailed Job Description.