The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) on behalf of the International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a Consultant for SweetGAINS Project.
The Center: CIP (www.cipotato.org) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor.
The position: The position requires a Consultant to work in collaboration with public and private sector research, seed producers, development agents, CIP’s agronomist, agricultural economist and other on- going CIP sweetpotato initiatives to design and implement a rapid assessment of the sweetpotato seed systems in Bukombe, Butiama and Urambo District, Tanzania
Objectives: To design, conduct and validate rapid assessment of sweetpotato seed systems (including measuring the marketing efficiency of existing seed distribution models) in bukombe, Butiama and Urambo districts, Tanzania.
In collaboration with TaRI and CIP develop study protocol and methodology to conduct gender sensitive rapid assessment of seed system in target areas to:-
- Characterize (formal and informal). sweetpotato seed system actors (including trades, transporters)
- Roles of different stakeholders.
- Current business models for key nodes in seed value chain.
- Current and future market preferred varieties (and relative market share) for different market segments
- Map existing seed distribution models 9or channels)/ and business models in target geographies and document with data available for Impact Network Analysis (INA).
- Identify push and pull strategies for strengthening the relationship among seed system actors.
- Identify opportunities for upgrading enhancing integration between formal and informal commercial seed producers.
- Measure marketing efficiency of existing seed distribution models: Measurable indicators.
- Net profit for typical seed enterprise at different nodes in seed value chain 9 basic, certified, QDS, informal);
- Input/output ratio;
- Seed security indicators;
- Present report and findings to stakeholder meeting for validation and follow up action plan.
- Prepare a final report after the review and submit to the supervisor.
- PHd. in Agricultural Economics or related field.
- Knowledge and/or experience in agribusiness (MBA an advantage), gender-based value chain analysis and market linkages.
- At least 10 years’ experience working with TARI and district councils.
- Fluent in Kiswahili.
- Knowledge of sweetpotato seed in Tanzania.
- Knowledge and/or experience working with smallholder farmers and private companies (agribusinesses), as well as smallholder farmers’ networks and agribusiness in Africa.
- Quantitative and statistics skills.
What are the conditions?
The position is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position limited to Tanzania nationals and permanent residents only. The consultancy will be for a period of 25 Days.
Visit the following link: http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/ and submit your cover letter and a full C.V. with your references. Screening of applications will begin on February 21, 2020 and will continue until the post is filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply
CIP does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). CIP also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Go to our Homepage To Get Relevant Information.