The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST) an institution of The Aga Khan Development Network, has completed a major expansion of the Aga Khan Hospital. Dar es Salaam. This expansion aims at enhancing the Hospital’s facilities, technology and capacity which will allow it to become the leading provider of high-quality medical care focusing on tertiary medicine, reversing the flow of medical tourism and enhancing its capacity to deliver high quality health sciences education.
The Hospital’s recent expansion focuses on expanding key clinical services including the development of comprehensive cardiology, oncology and neurosciences programmes as well as the expansion of orthopedics and trauma, diagnostic imaging, pathology, critical care, and women and child health.
The Hospital is ISO 9001 certified and Joint Commission International Accredited which is a testimony to the provision of the highest level of quality and patient safety that compares with the best hospitals in the world. The Hospital is also a teaching site for The Aga Khan University, which offers postgraduate medical education programs leading to Master’s of Medicine in Family Medicine. Internal Medicine and Surgery. The Aga Khan Hospital is also an accredited internship site and accepts 60 interns annually.
The Hospital has also established 23 outreach health facilities that are located across 11 regions of Tanzania and are connected via an integrated health systems that supports a strong continuum of care from primary to tertiary medicine.
We are seeking for enthusiastic and qualified experienced personnel for the following position:
CONSULTANT RHEUMATOLOGIST – (1 POSITION)
- Examines, diagnoses, and consults for most appropriate course of treatment for a given condition
- Treating rheumatic conditions such as arthritis, autoimmune diseases, pain disorders affecting joints, and osteoporosis based on scientific research
- To Admit, evaluate, diagnose, treat and provide consultation to patients of all ages, with diseases of the joints, muscle, bones and tendons and auto immune and immune
- Diagnosing diseases of the joints
- Assess, stabilize, and determine disposition of patients with emergent conditions consistent with medical staff policy regarding emergency and consultative call services.
- Studying symptoms and evaluating effects on the immune system.
- Designing tailored treatment plans.
- Assessing joint-related conditions.
- Providing recommendations for treatments.
- Advising on further examinations
- Makes use various nonsurgical techniques and treatment options to diagnose and effectively manage rheumatic conditions.
- Treats soft tissue problems related to musculoskeletal systems and sports related soft tissue disorders
- Studies signs and symptoms of rheumatic disease and evaluates it effect on their system
- Designs customized and individualized treatments, depending on a patient’s disease
- Studies and gauges the results of a patient’s lab tests
- Uses technologies and tools like radiographs. MRIs. and ultrasound
The Job holder will be required to perform the following procedures
- Performance of history and physical exam
- Diagnostic aspiration and/or therapeutic injection of diarthrodial joints, bursae, tenosynovial structures, and enthuses
- Analysis by light and compensated polarized light microscopy of synovial fluid (not pediatrics)
- Use of but not limited to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, disease-modifying drugs, biological-response modifiers, glucocorticoids, cytotoxic drugs /chemotherapy, antihyperuricemic drugs, intravenous immunoglobulin and antibiotic therapy for septic joints
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Medicine and/or Bachelor of Surgery.
- Master Degree in Internal Medicine in Rheumatology or Fellowship in Rheumatology.
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience post Master’s Degree.
- Full registration from Medical Council of Tanganyika.
- Valid Retention Certificate from Medical Council of Tanganyika.
- Evidence of encouraging and supporting diversity among a Department’s constituents, creating an environment of professionalism, respect, tolerance, and acceptance.
- Experience in working with ISO and JCIA standards hospitals
- Demonstrated record of excellent clinical skills, a talent for teaching and interest in medical education.
- Demonstrated record of high quality medical research and leading collaborative research teams.
- Experience in evidence-based medicine, quality improvement, data-driven decision making and program evaluation.
- Should be Customer Centered.
- Demonstrated leadership in planning and implementing change.
- Demonstrate excellence in facilitation, communication, team building and problem solving skills.
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEWS.
APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY TO: [email protected] WITH THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE POSITION OR HAND DELIVERED TO HUMAN RESOURCE DEPARTMENT, P. O. BOX 2289, OCEAN ROAD, DAR ES SALAAM.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS END OF BUSINESS DAY ON 6™ APRIL, 2020.