Palladium develops and delivers innovative, locally relevant, evidence-based solutions to improve the health and well-being of people around the world. Since 1971, we have assisted governmental and non-governmental agencies, foundations, and the private sector by designing, implementing, and evaluating programs in HIV/AIDS, sexual and reproductive health, population and family planning, maternal and child health, infectious diseases, and gender. Palladium has deep expertise in policy and advocacy, research and strategic information, health markets and private sector engagement, modeling and economic analysis, patient monitoring and management, HMIS, strategic consulting, and program management.
Project Overview and Role:
Palladium is currently seeking a Data Visualization Specialist, Tanzania to support implementation of the Translating Data for Implementation (Data.FI) award. Data.FI is a five-year global project funded by the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). Data.FI partners with PEPFAR programs to accelerate and sustain access to high-quality data to expedite HIV and COVID-19 epidemic control and maintenance. Data.FI supports host country governments to enhance existing health information systems (HIS) and conduct in-depth analysis of epidemiologic and program data to inform management responses to gaps in programming and sustain impact by supporting local partner transition.
In Tanzania, Data.FI will support the government (PORALG) and USAID to strengthen and expand the application of the Makole Model as a change management approach to improve productivity and the quality of services at health facilities. The model combines data from existing quality improvement and quality assurance (QI/QA) platforms with data from other systems to improve institutional performance and health outcomes. Data.FI will support data management and use and will be guided by a technical advisory group composed of experts from USAID, PORALG and UNICEF.
The Data Visualization Specialist for Data.FI, Tanzania will help lead the design and development of high-quality compelling data analyses and data visualization products to drive programmatic decision making, learning and adaptation. S/he will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to understand user needs, data use cases and develop clear and compelling data products that transform data into interactive and dynamic visualizations to convey analytical insights, demonstrate results, and communicate analytical findings.
This position is based in Dodoma, Tanzania. The initial position term is 6 months, with an extension for up to 3 years, depending on funding.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Senior Data Use Advisor to assist in identifying priority information needs, gathering stakeholder requirements, and mapping data for data analysis and visualization products.
- Work closely with the Data Engineer to use SQL queries (or other programming languages) to explore, understand, and make use of diverse sets of data and relational data sources, including data quality and verification checks. It is anticipated that the position will work with a variety of data sources (such as client-line data, aggregated programmatic or project data, survey data, financial data, etc.) and may need to transform, integrate, clean, and structure data for use in data visualization products.
- Design, develop, and iterate on data analytics, static and interactive data visualizations and maps using visual analytics and business intelligence tools (preference towards using open-source data visualization and data science platforms).
- Create prototypes and mock-ups of data products and visualizations (including dashboards), following data visualization best practices and principles, based on stakeholder requirements.
- Develop and generate high quality information products and infographics to generate meaningful use of data for programmatic decision making.
- Support the integration of data visualization tools and products into routine data review and program monitoring processes, working with stakeholders and the Sr. Data Use Advisor to develop and interpret data insights. Support the integration of data visualization tools and products into routine data review and program monitoring processes, working with stakeholders and the Sr. Data Use Advisor to develop and interpret data insights.
- Translate complex data analysis concepts and visuals into clear and useable messages for different audiences.
- Degree in computer science, statistics or management information systems, or any health-related degree with health informatics experience preferred. Master’s degree an added advantage.
- At least 5 years work experience in data analysis, data mining, BI (Tableau, Power BI and other tools) and Analytics development or other related analytical projects with recent proven experience developing data visualizations, dashboards, and reporting. Proficient in development of infographics and packaging of information products
- Proven, relevant work experience in designing and developing effective data visualizations (preferably for global health programs).
- Advanced skills in creating data visualizations using platforms such as Excel, Tableau, PowerBI, Metabase, or other data visualization tools. Preference for open-source data visualization platforms.
- Experience facilitating data analysis and visualization projects (conceptualization, stakeholder engagement, design and execution, iteration, and on-going support).
- Demonstrated track record increasing use of data and promoting data literacy through effective data visualization products.
- Experience applying UI/UX design principles and best practices is desirable.
- Geospatial analysis skills using ArcGIS or QGIS is desirable.
- Knowledge of health information systems, e.g., electronic medical records, DHIS2, community health information systems, labs, pharmacy, commodities, etc.
- Knowledge of USAID Global Health and/or PEPFAR programs and indicators is desirable.
- Strong communication, analytic, and presentation skills.
- Full proficiency in spoken and written English and Swahili.
- Ability to travel up to 30% within Tanzania.