Abt Associates is seeking a qualified Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for the anticipated USAID/Tanzania Public Sector Systems Strengthening Plus (PS3+). This large, complex and integrated project will involve all systems functions, levels of government, and public services, prioritizing health, nutrition, social welfare, education and agriculture. PS3+ is expected to institutionalize Government of Tanzania (GOT) public systems that are responsive to citizens’ needs for quality services at the local level, particularly for underserved populations. The project includes three objectives/results areas: 1. Improved evidence-based, inclusive planning and management at local levels; 2. Strengthened local governance to promote citizen engagement and social accountability; and 3. Increased efficiency in the collection and use of financial resources. The project Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will serve as a member of the senior management team tasked with building GOT ownership of project achievements. The DCOP will supervise a team of senior technical specialists and ensure the completion of milestones and deliverables along Tanzania’s Journey to Self-Reliance.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the COP in overall technical management and oversight of the PS3+ activity.
- Provide substantive involvement regarding development of technical management and oversight for the accomplishment of the objectives of the PS3+ activity. Work closely with the COP and senior technical team in the development of work plans and activity timelines. S/he will ideally bring significant prior experience serving as DCOP on a bilateral project or as senior technical director on a global project.
- Support reporting, update and implementation of the technical strategies, identifying technical assistance needs, and mobilizing required technical resources and staff. This includes assuming primary responsibility for overseeing the timely production of quality deliverables to USAID, such as quarterly and annual reports, work plans, budgets, technical reports, and publications. The DCOP will work with the project technical teams, M&E Team Lead, Finance and Operations Director, and Regional/LGA Director to meet these deliverables according to work plans and timelines. S/he will also serve as field- based Project Quality Assurance (PQA) manager, coordinating quality reviews with relevant project staff and the US-based Technical Program Manager (TPM).
- Responsible for harmonizing the three objectives of the PS3+ activity specifically ensuring effective complementary and efficient implementation of PS3+s’ three objectives.
- Provide technical guidance and create opportunities for institutional strengthening and capacity development for in management and leadership especially for local staff. Coordinate and interface with partners, donors and clients on the technical components of PS3+. Assume primary responsibility for managing the work and monitoring the performance of international and local subcontractors, working with regional and technical staff to ensure that all activities and outputs are technically sound and appropriate.
- In the absence of the COP, on a temporary basis, the DCOP will assume responsibilities for coordinating contract management and implementation tasks, liaises with USAID/ Tanzania and responds to technical matters.
- The DCOP will also work with the Finance and Operations Director on budget preparation, processes, and management in conjunction with the relevant program managers, including the development and review of relevant standard costs and scales for the program as technical compliance with USAID rules and regulations
- S/he will collaborate with the project Communications Lead and the project Technical Director to ensure high visibility of project accomplishments in and beyond Tanzania.
- This will include supporting the COP and other project staff in efforts to engage donors, government officials, and other stakeholders in policy and technical discussions.
- The DCOP for Technical Development will reside in Tanzania for the duration of the Contract.
At a minimum, the Deputy Chief of Party for Technical Development must have the following qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in the field of management, and/or international development with at least 10 years’ experience, or a Bachelor’s degree with at least 15 years’ experience in international development include 1-5 years of management experience.
- At least 10 years international experience in development, managing, overseeing, or evaluating public health programs of similar size and complexity.
- Proven ability to create and maintain effective working relations with senior Government personnel (particularly in Tanzania), international organizations, NGO partners, host country governments, and U.S. Government Agencies.
- Technical expertise in at least two of the following areas: citizen Engagement, public sector systems strengthening, local governance, and public financial management Expertise in effective institution strengthening, citizen engagement, and partnership building with government at local level.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the capacity to prepare and deliver formal presentations in English. Evidence of prior publications and/or formal presentations may be requested.
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel).
- Strong English writing and speaking skills.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written.
- Working experience in developing countries with a comparable technical scope is required. Experience in Tanzania preferred.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may send a CV to [email protected] Please include the title of the position (Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) in the subject line of the email. One email per position application.
Deadline for applications is November 26th, 2020. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.