About Silverleaf Academy
Silverleaf believes that quality education should be accessible to every child. We know education levels the playing field. We are Tanzania’s first chain of affordable pre-primary and primary schools, educating children aged 3-14. Our mission is to provide lower-middle income urban families with the highest quality education possible at the most affordable price. Silverleaf schools deploy an inclusive, tech-supported curriculum inside every classroom, and adopt an innovative team teaching approach with an aggressive in-service training program. Our schools are designed to combat widespread student underperformance typically seen within severely resource-constrained Tanzanian schools. It is our promise to our students and their parents that Silverleaf students will not leave school without full mastery of the basic skills of writing, reading and math, while also being prepared for a world where critical thinking, team collaboration, and entrepreneurship are paramount.
Silverleaf has 2 fully operational Academies with slightly under 500 students between them. Silverleaf aims to serve over 10,000 students within the next 8 years.
About the Role
Position: Education Deputy
Reporting to: Director of Educational (direct), CEO (indirect)
Location: Arusha region, Tanzania, Manyara region, Tanzania
Contract: Full-time paid position
Term: 1-year minimum
Summary of Position
Silverleaf Academy is looking for a Deputy of Education who will work to implement, manage and grow the educational programming of Silverleaf Academy within Tanzania. They will work with, and report directly to, the Director of Education.
The Education Deputy will ensure all aspects of the company’s education model are being fully developed, implemented, and evaluated. The Education Deputy will also take the lead in building capacity in our education staff on how to implement Silverleaf’s student-centred pedagogy. Ensuring our schools run smoothly and managing and upskilling our education staff are the key responsibilities of this position.
The Education Deputy will also ensure that our schools’ performance is systematically captured and regularly reviewed. The Education Deputy will take the lead in managing, supervising and helping refine our teacher recruitment processes. This position will oversee quality assurance for all curriculum ensuring the teaching and learning occurring in classrooms meets Silverleaf’s high academic standards. For the right candidate, this could provide an unrivalled leadership opportunity to shape the educational delivery of a rapidly-expanding school chain, whilst delivering real impact for young Tanzanian students.
As a foundational member of a small central team, this position will also contribute to all areas of effective implementation including giving necessary input into the areas of school operations and finance.
The Silverleaf pedagogy is very child-centred and therefore combines a range of world-class, proven techniques that form the Silverleaf Educational model. This position will ensure the delivery of this design and in continuing to develop the educational components of the model as further learnings emerge.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Lead on recruitment, supervision and continuous professional development of Silverleaf academic staff
● Oversee implementation of educational policies and procedures related to curriculum, staff monitoring, student assessment, and overall delivery of the Silverleaf Education Model
● Quality control of curriculum implementation and educational program delivery
● Development of educational resources and tools for delivery of the educational model and ensure full implementation within classes
● Oversee technology implementation and management within schools
● Assist in managing and developing educational partnerships with teacher training colleges, other NGO’s and educational support companies.
● Participate in Senior Management team meetings and decision-making.
● Be a role model to all Silverleaf Academy central and school-based staff at all times.
● Participate in all elements of Silverleaf’s business and operations.
● 3+ years in classroom teaching experience (international experience preferred)
● Experience leading teacher training and/or department management position
● Excellent leadership skills and experience of managing others (who may not speak English as a first language)
● Comfortable working in a fast-moving, start-up environment
● International background, but committed to living and working in various areas in the Tanzanian Northern zone.
● Strong relationship building skills and teamwork
● Desire to innovate around curriculum, teacher performance and student achievement
● High-level technology skills
You’ll fit into our culture if you:
● You show a deep commitment to Silverleaf’s mission, vision, and culture
● You are constantly seeking new opportunities to add value to your work
● You value high standards of professionalism and rigor
● You value transparency as key to building collaborative teams
● You have an entrepreneurial approach to addressing social and economic challenges
Closing date: 23 Oct 2019