The state university of Zanzibar is the only public university in Zanzibar established by Act No. 8 of the House of Representatives of is the only Public University in Zanzibar established by Act No. 8 of the House of Representatives of 1999 which was amended by Act No. 11 of 2009, and further re-amended by Act No. 7 of 2016, Act No 1 Part 4 of 2019 and Act No. 13 of 2020.
Since its inception in 2002, SUZA has been expanding in academic programs as well as students’ enrolment. Its vision is to be the most preferred University in the Eastern Africa.
The Council of the State University of Zanzibar seeks to recruit a Deputy Vice-Chancellor for Planning, Finance and Administration from suitably qualified individuals with excellent credentials.
The candidate should possess the following qualifications
- PhD degree from a recognized Higher Learning Institution;
- Has at least seven (7) years working experience in Higher Learning Institutions, of which at least two(2)years in managerial position;
- Has a capacity to promote learning and extension in a competitive environment;
- Has ability and leadership skills to effectively co-ordinate academic and administrative functions;
- Be an accomplished scholar with proven track record in formulating and managing academic and administrative programs, supervising and mentoring postgraduate students;
- Proven capacity to promote learning, teaching, research and development in higher learning institutions;
- Knowledge of national laws and policies specifically in education and public service;
- Be of high ethical standards, integrity and professionalism adhering to national Constitution on leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities
As Deputy Vice Chancellor (PFA), generally the candidate is responsible for planning, administration and finance, is the Principal Assistant of, and responsible to the Vice Chancellor in all matters pertaining to the administration of the University, including the administration of funds, planning and other assets of the University. In the absence of both the Vice Chancellor and the Deputy Vice Chancellor responsible for Academic, Research and Consultancy deputizes for the Vice Chancellor.
Specifically, as the DVC (PFA), under the general direction of the Vice-Chancellor, the candidate shall have the following responsibilities:
- Overall responsibility of direction, organization and administration of the directorate of properties and services, finance and human resource;
- Effectively co-ordinate the Planning, Administration, Finance & Development functions in the University;
- Be responsible to the Vice-Chancellor for the management of personnel and personnel matters, and the general conduct and discipline of staff;
- Ensure the University Management is properly and promptly advised to comply with all statutory and legal requirements currently in force;
- Coordinate the design, implementation, revision and evaluation of the University’s working instruments.
- Ensure sound financial controls;
- Ensure timely preparation and implementation of the University’s budget estimates and operational budget;
- Guide in strategic planning in education development; and
- Work with the DVC Academic, Research and Consultancy to promote learning, teaching, research and development in the University.
- Develop internal and external linkages with other academic institutions, industry, government agencies, funding organizations and other relevant bodies.
The Deputy Vice Chancellor (PFA) shall serve the office for a term of three (3) years and may be reappointed for another term of three (3) years subject to the Council recommendation and approval of the Chancellor on evidence of excellent performance.
According to the scale on the salary scheme of the State University of Zanzibar.
Mode of Application:
- Applicants should submit six (6) copies of an up -to -date and detailed curriculum vitae (detailing academic qualifications, awards/scholarship/funding membership to professional associations and linkages), copies of relevant certificates, e-mail addresses and telephone contacts.
- Certificates from foreign Universities should be verified by Tanzania Commission for University.
- They should also provide names, e-mail, telephone numbers and contact addresses of three referees and request the referees to forward their confidential reports to the undersigned directly.
- Six (6) copies of the application and referees confidential report on the applicant’s suitability for the post should be sent via registered mail or courier in an envelope marked “Application for the Position of Deputy Vice -Chancellor(Planning, Finance and Administration)” and reference number on left hand side of the envelop.
- All application should be addressed to the Vice Chancellor, State University of Zanzibar, P.0. Box 146, Zanzibar-Tanzania and should be sent to the under-signed to be received on or before 24th June, 2022.
Our Contact Addresses
The State University of Zanzibar (SUZA)
P. 0. Box 146
Go to our Homepage To Get Relevant Information.