Development and publication of four position papers: To Certification and Beyond: “Market access for sustainable coffee, horticulture and tea from Tanzania” Project
1. ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND
Solidaridad is a global network civil society organization with expertise in developing sustainable market-oriented supply chains, farmer training, certification and credit linkages related to coffee, cocoa, cotton and 10 other commodities. The organization has experience in managing international programmes working with grass root organizations, producers, civil society and local government, and core and support role private sector actors. Solidaridad has a strong presence in Africa and Asia, as well as North, Central and South America (www.solidaridadnetwork.org).
Solidaridad is currently implementing the project titled To Certification and Beyond: “Market access for sustainable coffee, horticulture and tea from Tanzania. The project is implemented in Zanzibar (Unguja and Pemba), Mbeya, Njombe, Ruvuma and Songwe with the aim of supporting the voluntary certification process of the coffee, tea and horticulture producer groups in Tanzania.
The overall objective for this project is to address issues surrounding effective use of certification schemes and use of voluntary sustainability standards (VSS) to improve and drive market opportunities for Tanzanian “branded” sustainable tea, coffee and horticulture products. The Specific objectives will include: i) improving domestic, regional and international market access for Tanzanian “branded” sustainable tea, coffee and horticulture products; and ii) supporting the adoption of identified voluntary sustainability standards.
As part of the interventions towards creating positive impact to farmers in certification and market access, the project is aiming at developing and publishing four position papers that will address and influence positive changes in the agricultural sector. In this regard, Solidaridad is recruiting a consultant to support the development, writing and publishing the papers.
2.0 OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The overall objective of this assignment is to develop and publish the one position paper on:
1. Avocado production and marketing in Tanzania.
2. Coffee Production and Marketing in Tanzania
3. Tea production and marketing in Tanzania
4. Voluntary Sustainability Standards (VSS) and Certification process (impact of VSS and private certification) in for smallholder farmers in Tanzania.
1. One position paper topic for each theme: avocado, coffee, tea and VSS (to be agreed with the project team)
2. One position paper developed and published for each topic/theme
4.0 QUALIFICATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
· University degree in Agriculture, Horticulture, Agronomy, Crop Protection, Environmental Sciences or related and relevant field (master degree and above preferred).
· Relevant professional training and experience in paper writing and publication
· At least 5 years’ working experience in horticulture (for avocado), agriculture sector in Tanzania.
· Experience in voluntary sustainability standards and certification schemes required (for VSS and certification position paper)
· At least five years’ experience in conducting and leading writeshop and publication of position papers
5.0 CONSULTANCY PERIOD
Details will be worked out jointly with the consultant team and project staff. However, the work is expected to commence in late January for an estimated 30 days’ period. This time duration does not include the writeshop, which will be organized and coordinated by Solidaridad.
How to apply
6.0 APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications should be submitted no later than 14th January 2023. Applications should include the following: Application letter/proposal addressing understanding of this ToR, candidate’s previous experience as well as their interest for the position. It should also indicate the candidate’s availability and consultancy rates. The rates should be in Tanzania Shillings (Tsh) and should cover all costs expected to be incurred by a consultant.
Include one (1) updated CV for the consultant and at least two publications (link) that the consultant has done before.
Please apply for only one topic/theme (avocado/coffee/tea/VSS).
All applications should be sent to the following email: [email protected]
Attn: Country Manager
Solidaridad Eastern and Central Africa Expertise Centre (Tanzania office)
P.O. Box 544 – Arusha
Note: Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification and only successful candidates will be contacted.