The Regional Director of Finance for Africa is a critical role supporting Compassion’s mission to serve more children, more quickly for over 300,000 children across 10 countries.
This director leads the finance function to provide budgeting, financial analysis, and related services to the organization. The primary purpose of this position is to provide direction through subordinate managers and 38+ regional staff to a major sub-function or geographic region of the ministry. This responsibility includes hiring, discipline, and termination, as well as, coaching, performance management, assigning, checking, and approving work to achieve global strategies and objectives. The incumbent collaborates with other senior leaders and contributes to the development of functional strategy and makes decisions based on operational strategy and priorities.
Maintains a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Is a consistent witness for Jesus Christ, maintains a courteous, Christ-like attitude in dealing with people within and outside of Compassion, and faithfully upholds Compassion’s ministry in prayer.
- Acts as an advocate to raise the awareness of the needs of children. Understands Christ’s mandate to protect children. Commits to and prioritizes child protection considerations in all decision-making, tasks and activities across the ministry. Abides by all behavioral expectations in Compassion’s Statement of Commitment to Child Protection and Code of Conduct. Reports any concerns of abuse, neglect or exploitation of children through Compassion’s internal reporting process and appropriately supports responses to incidents if they occur.
- Capability to serve as a member of The Board of Directors.
- Provides leadership, planning and consultation to subordinates, executives, and peer management in the successful alignment of assigned department resources to ensure achievement of operational priorities and initiatives, integrating priorities within organizational strategies to ensure that department’s purpose is fulfilled.
- Compiles or prepares and administers the annual budget and departmental expenses, ensuring accountability for on-time completion of deliverables based on department objectives, SLAs, GAAP and other Compassion standards, ensuring compliance with regulatory and board policies.
- Selects, manages and develops assigned staff, establishing goals and objectives, coaching and managing performance, including discipline, motivation, and annual reviews; supports continuous learning and development that enhances individual performance and organizational capability.
- Leads finance managers and professional staff responsible to prepare the Africa region or major group’s annual budget (or a segment of the budget), gathering input from all stakeholders, organizing and analyzing the data, and preparing it for approval and administration. Submits the annual budget on time and accurately to the approving authority. Leads subordinate team members through the ongoing financial forecasting process, ensuring that it is integrated with the ministry’s strategic planning process.
- Leads, through subordinate managers, major financial analysis projects such as creating financial models for future planning decisions. Tools such as models and reports are used with stakeholders to advocate on behalf of Compassion’s financial principles.
- Directs subordinate analysts and/or managers to research and stay abreast of global economic trends to assure successful and effective completion of responsibilities and anticipation of future issues.
- Oversees financial issues such as capital expenditures, depreciation, proposals, investment opportunities, rate of return, operating records, and financial statements.
- Directs subordinate staff who complete special project related to finance and accounting such as process improvement, policy development, compliance programs, etc., as well as ensure data integrity and mine and analyze data for business intelligence and other appropriate uses.
Has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
Accountable for supporting, upholding, and engaging in Compassion’s core “Cultural Behaviors” in all internal and external communication and relationships.
Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
At least 10 years experience in Accounting and Finance
5 years experience in people management position. Strongly preferred experience leading other people managers
English speaking is required and French speaking would be an added advantage
Demonstrated experience casting vision, collaborating with cross – cultural leadership and advising Boards
Licenses and Certifications
Relevant certification from a nationally or internationally recognized organization in a related field such as CPA, ACCA etc.
*Equivalent education, training and/or certification may be substituted for experience and education shown above
Office – Standard Office Environment
Sitting, standing, and/or walking for up to 8 hours per day
May be required to travel up to 10% of normal schedule