Experienced Director of Operations for TCDC in Tanzania
TCDC is looking for a dynamic Director of Operations for our vibrant and ambitious training institute that houses multiple accommodation, learning campus area, staff housing, restaurant, Cafe, laundry, gym and a large outdoor space based in Arusha, Tanzania. In this role, you will contribute to ensuring that the financial and administrative functions are well-managed and retaining the highest standards.
ActionAid Denmark – TCDC
ActionAid Denmark (AADK) fights poverty by promoting the political empowerment of the world’s poor. AADK supports long-term development work, education programs and campaigns as well as cross-border exchange of experience and knowledge between people. For more information see here: www.ms.dk/en/home. Training Centre for Development Cooperation (TCDC) located in Usa River, Arusha, Tanzania, is part of AADK. The Center employs more than over 100 staff and associates/consultants and provides high quality transformative development training and consultancy services to Action Aid International (AAI) and other civil society organizations (CSOs) and their partners. The Center also offers Swahili language and African culture orientation courses, academic programs, short professional courses, rental of conference, accommodation and boarding facilities. Please find more information here: www.mstcdc.or.tz.
The position, responsibilities and tasks
The Director of Operations has the strategic and day to day responsibility for all financial and administrative (F&A) matters. S/he will be responsible for achieving the set goals within F&A including financial, HR and the other units composing the F&A as well as implementing strong procedures. S/he is responsible for ensuring full compliance with our policies and donor requirements, including that operations guidelines and procedures are followed as set by TCDC. A key partner of collaboration is the Operations department in Denmark, especially the finance and HR units.
The Director of Operations reports to the Executive Director of TCDC and has a dotted line to the Finance & Administration Director in AADK. The Executive Director, Programs Director and Director of Operations make up the Leadership Team of MS TCDC and thus contribute to the overall management and development of the Centre.
The Director of Operations is directly responsible for five operating units/departments, namely: Finance, Catering, Front Office and Client Services, Facility Management and Human Resources. Each unit/department has a Team Leader/Manager who reports directly to the Director of Operations; the entire operations are composed of 12 persons.
A key task for the Director of Operations in the coming years is to implement new systems and procedures that are integrated with those of AADK, meet compliance requirements of donors and provide the Executive Director with timely data, contributing to the Financial sustainability of TCDC. The Director of Operations must be prepared to be both hands-on and strategic, i.e. s/he will be involved in both solving and overseeing concrete tasks and in more overall leadership issues such as business development and strategy development. It will be considered an asset if s/he has a commercial mindset and have experience from a social enterprise as well as capacity to lead and manage a streamlined operational setup and demonstrating strategic leadership.
In order for the Director of Operations to be successful in this position, we consider the following qualifications as needed:
- Degree in Business/Economics, or relevant education and a large experience (minimum 10 years) with financial management, budgeting, accounting and business development.
- Extended experience with donor reporting, finance legislation and auditing principles as well as proven track record in managing complex financial set- ups.
- Experience with personnel administration.
Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Competence and knowledge within data protection, IT systems such as Microsoft office, Microsoft Office 365, CRM systems, and Navision.
To succeed in the position, it would be good to have It would be good to have:
- Knowledge of development work, intercultural cooperation and conflict resolution.
- Ability to delegate responsibility and involving employees in decision making and work planning.
- Well-developed communication skills.
- Political and diplomatic flair and entrepreneurial instincts.
- The position is offered under TCDC’s employment policy with a fixed term contract of three (3) years with the possibility of extension depending on the future programmatic focus and needs of TCDC.
- The position is based in Arusha, Tanzania, in a dynamic working environment with non-formal atmosphere.
- A basic salary under AADK salary system – grade F, relocation and education allowance when relevant.
- Housing is provided by TCDC on campus.
- Flexible working hours, ensuring a good work/life balance.
Application and other information
Deadline for application: 2nd January, 2022 before midnight. Apply through the following link:
We only accept applications submitted through our online recruitment system.
We expect to hold the 1 st round of interviews on 17th of January, 2022 and second interviews on 24th January, 2022.
People invited to the 2nd interview will be asked to fill a personal profile and to answer a professional ability test, and they will receive an assignment to solve and present at the interview.
Expected starting date: asap and no later than on 1st April, 2022 depending on travel restrictions.
Would you like to know more about the position? Please contact us at [email protected]
AADK/MS TCDC is an inclusive workplace which welcomes a diversity of people and ideas. As an equal opportunity employer, AADK invite everybody with relevant qualifications, independently of any identity markers (such as race, skin colour, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, social or economic status or any other), to apply. AADK/MS TCDC does not tolerate harassment or discrimination of any kind. Any transgression in this regard should be addressed to [email protected]
- Total Jobs 18 Jobs
- Location Dar es Salaam