The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the positions below.
Position Title: Electrician
Vacancy Number: DaresSalaam-2019-040
Operation support duties: 60%
The incumbent installs and perform repairs on medium and low voltage electrical systems, lighting circuit, electrical panels, voltage regulators, emergency power generators, transformers, relays, circuit breakers, electrical appliances and various associated system components. Recording power consumption measurements and ensuring associated systems components and hardware are electrically and mechanically compatible with systems at installation location
Maintenance support: 20%
May perform work on air-conditioners and refrigerators of a non-technical nature not requiring the mechanic. Installs new electrical equipment such as fans, pumps, distribution equipment, light fixtures, home appliances, etc. Maintain records of all materials used for electrical works at the embassy and residences. Performs job activities and duties in a responsible manner to avoid the creation of safety or health hazards; conforms to established safety and health policies and procedures; properly utilizes appropriate personal protection equipment as required by the job activity; informs supervisor of all accidents, illnesses and injuries; promptly reports unsafe conditions to supervisors. Daily and weekly conducts preventive maintenance (PM) for electrical systems, components, switchgears and electrical panels. Develops long range plans for equipment reliability thru scheduled PM inspections.
Trouble shooting and distribution 20%
Trouble shoots electrical distribution lines at residential complexes, Chancery and USAID building, lighting Systems, water pumps, portable water systems, water heaters, distillers at residential complexes. Researches manufacturers’ recommended spare parts, identifies new upgraded spare parts and replacement parts, enters these into the procurement system, and tracks the process until they have been safely received by the warehouse personnel. Must be proficient in the installation of new electrical distribution systems up to and including 500 amp capacity with all associated safety controls. Must be thoroughly capable of interpreting detailed electrical diagrams and diagnostic capacity must be extremely elevated.
Job holder will perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: Three years of experience working in the building maintenance environment as an electrical technician is required.
- Education Requirements:
- Completion of Secondary School (Form IV) is required. Completion of technical vocational school specialized in electrical field is required.
- LANGUAGE: Level III (Good Working knowledge) of English language skills is required. Level III (Good Working Knowledge) of Kiswahili is required. (this may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Driver’s license Class ‘D’ to drive cars and trucks is required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam offers compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- Other Information:
- HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants MUST follow instructions in the notice on the website:
Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
Previous applicants do not need to reapply.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted only via email.
CLOSING DATE: December 4, 2019
Be cautious: Never pay for securing a job: No Real employer seeks any fee from a job-seeker at any stage of the hiring process. MABUMBE does not charge candidates for job applications or job offers. Mabumbe.com is committed to ensuring that all job ads on our site are for legitimate job opportunities. Report any employer asking Money from you.
Subscribe to FREE Job Alerts!