SECONDARY EDUCATION FOR GIRLS’ ADVANCEMENT (SEGA)
POSITION: Finance and Administration Manager
SEGA Mission: With a particular focus on vulnerable girls, SEGA educates and equips bright Tanzanian girls with academic, leadership, and business skills to unleash their individual talents and reach their full potential.
SEGA is located in Morogoro municipality at Mkundi area along the Morogoro-Dodoma highway, and is comprised of the following programs:
- SEGA Girls Secondary School is a residential secondary school for 280 bright Tanzanian girls. The majority of students receive full scholarships to attend the school due to economic conditions in their home communities. Another 20% of students are fee-paying. SEGA School provides a high-quality education that fosters the development of strong values, healthy self-esteem and independent thinking skills. Our intention is to empower the SEGA students to effect change for themselves, their families and – ultimately – their communities; and to be a model school for educating girls in Tanzania, with an emphasis on vulnerable girls.
- Post Form IV scholarships to A Levels, University, Diploma Programs, for approximately 150 girls each year.
- “Modern Girl” girls’ clubs program whereby SEGA School graduates mentor girls in clubs in their home communities, reaching 900+ girls each year
- NEW: Graduates business development fund (implemented by local partner SAWA) to provide small loans to SEGA graduates to develop their businesses
- SEGA business enterprise (a SEGA Rest House where our foreign sponsors stay and school exchange groups from US) generate surplus income to finance the SEGA Girls Secondary School operations and the scholarships of the girls.
SEGA employs a staff of 65 to implement its programs.
The bulk of SEGA’s funding comes from its US partner, Nurturing Minds, although SEGA’s long term plan is to increase its financial independence through fundraising locally and supporting itself through income generating programs within Tanzania. Nurturing Minds provides approximately $1 million to support SEGA’s budget for operating the above programs.
The primary role of the Administration and Finance Manager is to ensure excellent financial and administrative systems and implementation to support smooth functioning of all SEGA programs in pursuit of its mission. The Administration and Finance Manager is responsible for ensuring human resources management policies and procedures are in place and adhered to, and that all related issues are conducted as per the Tanzanian labor law; and that SEGA funds are used as per plan, for the intended beneficiaries and programs. The position is a senior member of staff in the NGO, working closely with the Director and demands the highest level of professionalism, and strict adherence to financial management procedures and controls.
Responsible for ensuring smooth, transparent and accountable financial management as per Tanzanian and international finance procedures Systems Development/Strengthening
- Review, further develop and strengthen the existing financial system to ensure smooth, transparent and accountable financial management at SEGA; Develops/modifies forms, tracking systems etc. as needed, and ensures adherence
- In particular, identifies any areas for strengthening, recommending additional support or resources where needed
Budget Development, Monitoring
- Assists Executive Director in preparation of annual budget, liaising with staff for developing the budget in a participatory manner that instills ownership across the programs and units
- Approves all financial transactions verifying that they are catered for in the budget, prior to sending for payment authorization by the Executive Director.
- Produces monthly and quarterly reports as per budget and provides variance analyses to Headmistress, Executive Director, and other department heads
- Produces all donor reports against line items in donor budgets as per donor format, in time. Accounting
- Enters all financial data (income and expenses, assets, liabilities, cash account and advances) into QuickBooks regularly, and has clear system for linking QuickBooks entries with paper trail (receipts, etc.)for effective auditing
- Reconciles QuickBooks bank accounts with bank statements each month. Ensures that all accrued expenses (gratuity and health allowance, contractor retention, post fm-4 scholarship fund etc.) are appropriately booked.
- Maintains petty cash float
- Keeps adequate copies of all necessary financial forms on-hand at all times to facilitate smooth functioning;
- Orients and ensures compliance among staff to travel expense forms, other advance and reconciliation procedures, and all finance policies.
- Pays all bills, including staff salaries, on a timely basis, and as per contractual arrangements, ensuring positive external image of the organization.
- Ensures development and maintenance of Fixed Assets Register for SEGA
- Keeps all financial information confidential.
- Disburses to, and receives reports on use of school petty cash from School Administrator; Reconciles list of school fees payments provided by School Administrator with bank statements. Reconciles list of egg sales and deposits provided by Poultry Business Marketing Officer with bank statements.
- Assists in setting salary scale each year as part of budgeting process. Sets payroll formulas at beginning of year, ensuring adherence to NSSF, PAYE and other benefit and tax laws, and verifies payroll for accuracy each month, before paying staff.
- Assists Executive Director to develop form of contract, and generate new staff contracts, ensuring compliance with national labor and tax laws.
- Maintains Human Resources files, and ensures that leave, sick leave, health allowance, appraisals and disciplinary issues are tracked and filed appropriately.
- Ensures all staff receive a salary slip detailing the salary they have received, and they sign for their salary. Ensures adequate system for tracking staff salary advances and health allowance disbursements in place.
- Orients new incoming staff to SEGA financial policies
- Ensures departing staff handover all assets and materials assigned to their care during their employment
- Supervises a Human Resources Management Assistant and builds capacity to take on greater roles overtime
- Oversees security systems at SEGA, assisting in important decisions about hiring of security company or maintaining an internal security team; supervises SEGA Head of Security or External Company, as relevant
- Ensures fire prevention equipment and protocols are in place as per policies and procedures manual
- Ensures a system is implemented to receives and reviews/checks drivers’ log books, ensuring accurate/transparent tracking of fuel use and vehicle maintenance
- Supervises and builds capacity of Storekeeper, ensuring comprehensive, tight system for materials management is in place.
- high value inventory like solar and computer items are in locked areas with only 2 people having the keys; but ensuring accessibility of other areas with less valued items.
- all items in labs are under responsibility of Science Teacher; of Computer equipment under the ICT person, Library, under Librarian; Art under Art Department etc. Respective managers need to sign that they are responsible for these set lists of assets and must be able to account for them at any time o Ensures Storekeeper is regularly updating inventory
- Supports School Administrator as needed to put in a system of materials management for students
- Develops and maintains fixed assets register
- Provides support to Cooks, Matron, Nurses, and all staff in the SEGA School; as well as Modern Girl program, and other programs to ensure procurement and logistics systems are smooth
- Participates in and ensures transparent governance of tendering committee
- Updates the SEGA Policies and Procedures Manual, and Finance Manual as needed, working with the Executive Director to gain board review and approval
As a key member of senior staff of the NGO, helps guide the organization’s development.
Participates in strategic planning meetings and sits on Management Team.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Requirements
- CPA qualification or its equivalent.
- Knowledge of Tanzanian labor, taxation, and other pertinent laws required.
- Knowledge of Quickbooks accounting software is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years work experience as a senior Administration and Finance Manager.
HOW TO APPLY
Send application to: [email protected] by Sunday 29th of May 2022 by submitting only Application Letter and CV.
Note: Females are highly encouraged to apply.