Anza believes that entrepreneurs will transform Tanzania. We provide entrepreneurs the capacity, capital and community they need to thrive via the Anza Accelerator programmes and the Anza Growth Fund. Our services assist entrepreneurs to strengthen their operations, increase profitability, and scale their social impact to create more jobs and improve access to underserved markets. Anza is also actively engaged in shaping and maturing the Tanzanian innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Anza runs two programs: The Investment Readiness (IR) Program & The Business Foundations Accelerator (BFA). Both are designed to support distinct segments of entrepreneurs to raise capital and expand their businesses. The IR program supports high-growth ventures with the potential for exponential growth to prepare to raise VC style equity investments, while the BFA supports growing businesses in traditional sectors to obtain debt capital via the Anza Growth Fund and 3rd party lenders.
About the Anza Growth Fund
The Anza Growth Fund (AGF) invests in a select group of companies that successfully advance through the above Anza programs. By investing in companies that have gone through Anza programs, the AGF is able to de-risk their investment and provide below market interest rates and collateral obligations to investees. To date, the AGF’s investments have been structured as debt. Moving forward, the AGF is exploring making convertible note and equity-style investments in graduating companies. Capital is critical to the growth of Tanzanian entrepreneurs, and the AGF seeks to fill this gap in the ecosystem.
Past investees include Swahili Honey, Kazi Yetu, Jibu Tanzania, ShuleSoft, and more.
We are seeking a talented individual to join the AGF team to help strengthen Fund operations and support the local investment team. This would be a 12 month “fellowship”, based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. This person will play an integral support role to the AGF team towards implementing systems that will enable the AGF to deploy increasingly meaningful capital amounts to Anza’s target entrepreneurs.
General Duties will include:
- Support in the development and implementation of the AGF’s long term strategy, budget, and operating plan.
- Contribute to a refinement of the AGF’s due diligence processes to ensure investment decisions are sound, defensible, and aligned with the interests of investees.
- Aid in the implementation of key fund management processes, policies, and technology to ensure timely compliance with local regulations, reporting requirements, and fiduciary responsibilities to the AGF partners.
- Assist in better preparing the AGF team and systems to successfully engage and complete the due diligence processes of prospective investors/donors into the Fund.
- Support the local investment team in the development, communication, and engagement with the Fund’s Investment Committee.
- Contribute to the selection and due diligence of prospective investees who are participating in Anza’s accelerator programs and provide constructive feedback to the accelerator team so they can better support Anza’ clients.
- Provide mentorship and contribute to the professional development of the full-time AGF team.
- Participate in and facilitate discussions with potential capital providers.
- Supporting the recruitment and onboarding of a new AGF fellow as this “term” ends.
Qualifications and Experience
We are seeking candidates with the below qualifications:
- Strong financial foundation and comfort with financial modeling and understanding of unit economics and other core drivers of a businesses financial growth.
- ~3+ years of experience in Accounting, Banking, Investing (Venture Capital, PE, Lending etc.), Management Consulting or similar.
- Exposure to or experience in fund management settings, with at least a high level knowledge of key considerations and core competencies.
- Team player who works and communicates well with others, regardless of their background.
- Passion for enabling the growth of entrepreneurs and alignment to Anza’s overall mission.
- Solutions oriented, self starter, who is comfortable working in ambiguity and resource constrained environments.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English.
The following criteria are desirable, but not requirements for the role:
- Past work experience in Tanzania, Africa or other emerging markets.
- Exposure to the SMB/startup finance space in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Past or current experience in startup ecosystems in Africa or other markets.
Anza and the AGF value candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences, so if you do not check all these boxes but think you are a good candidate for the role, we encourage you to apply.
Logistics & Other Details
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Term of Fellowship: 9 – 12 months with opportunities to renew pending compliance with regulations in Tanzania.
Compensation: As Anza is a non-profit, mission driven organization, this is a voluntary role. Anza will arrange for and cover the costs of accommodation and will provide a monthly stipend to cover your day-to-day living expenses.
Support from Anza & the AGF: Anza has extensive experience welcoming international professionals to the organization, and country. You will be provided with onboarding materials and health and safety information in advance of your arrival. Anza will ensure your Visa/work permit requirements are taken care of and the related costs are covered.
Working with Anza is a unique and rewarding professional and personal experience, one that brings significant learning and growth. Past alumni have gone to pursue exciting, professional opportunities in attractive fields that were often not on their radar before their time at Anza.
Send your application to [email protected]
We look forward to hearing from you!