Reporting Line: Chief, Risk & Compliance
Maximizing the bank’s risk adjusted return by assisting to limit its credit risk exposure to within acceptable parameters. This is done by:
- Identifying, measuring, and communicating the credit risk profile of the bank from a second line perspective.
- Ensuring all necessary credit risk related policies, procedures, manuals and tools are in place and kept up to date.
- Monitoring, measuring and reporting about the efficacy of the bank’s credit risk controls. Proposing enhancements where required.
- Conducting periodic monitoring of credit related activities. Providing timely identification and reporting of significant risks and losses and effectiveness of risk mitigation actions.
- Driving and implementing an effective credit risk management framework along the lines of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and Basel II.
- Partnering with the Credit Department on credit risk matters to ensure business growth is balanced with risk management and control.
- Ensuring that the bank’s credit risk governance framework is in line with regulatory and internal requirements. This extends to policies, procedures, manuals, tools and templates.
- Leading the Credit Risk team to drive and support the identification and management of various credit risks on a regular basis.
- Monitoring, assessing and reporting on the bank’s credit risk environment and processes from a second line perspective.
- Fully identifying and measuring credit risk across a range of on and off-balance sheet asset classes.
- Conducting regular monitoring of credit limits, in line with regulatory and internal requirements.
- Conducting periodic stress testing of the bank’s credit risk profile in line with Basel II requirements.
- Working with the Basel II project team to develop models for measuring Value at Risk (VaR), including default probability, loss given default and rating migration, economic capital and risk adjusted performance measurement.
- Ensuring that all credit-risk related registers and KRI templates are in place and maintained regularly, including testing of controls by designated risk champions.
- Validating control test results from a second line control perspective (Conformance Review) and channeling feedback on the same to the appropriate governance committees.
- Ensuring the proper functioning of the credit risk loss event reporting process, including root cause study and trend analysis and remedial action proposal.
- Working with the Product Approval Committee (PAC) to develop assessment models for quantification of product-related credit risks. Ensuring the credit risks associated with new and changed products, services and processes are sufficiently assessed and mitigated and that they are within established tolerance boundaries.
- Proactively communicating with other stakeholders within the bank on credit risk issues. Ensuring that prompt actions are undertaken to resolve all control weaknesses highlighted through the various credit risk reviews and audit processes. Escalating significant events to Chief, Risk and Compliance as appropriate.
- Developing comprehensive reports and presentations that outline credit risk-related findings, explain risk positions, and recommend appropriate changes.
Knowledge and Skills
- Extensive knowledge of Risk Management, ERM, corporate and retail credit, special asset management, legal and commercial.
- Advanced credit skills.
- Leadership skills, ability to lead a diverse team
- Change Management and Coaching skills
- Adaptability, Delegation and Managing Employee Performance
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Statistics, Mathematics, Finance, Accounting, Actuarial Science or Economics or equivalent.
- A minimum of 7 years banking experience specifically in credit management and/or Risk management of which at least 3 should be in a leadership role.
NMB Bank Plc is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Please be advised that if you are not contacted within 14 working days of the advert closing date then you have not been shortlisted.
“NMB Bank Plc does not charge any fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it”.