Opportunity title: Head of Watetezi Online TV
Work Station: Dar Es Salaam
Application deadline: 5th of February 2020
The Tanzania Human Rights Defenders Coalition (THRDC) is an umbrella organization of more than 180 Human Rights focused organization operating in both Tanzania Mainland and Zanzibar. The main focus of the Coalition is to put on the ground efforts towards enhanced security and protection of Human Rights Defenders in the United Republic of Tanzania.
Under its Protection, Engagement, Research and Advocacy department as one of its strategy, THRDC established an online TV (“Watetezi TV”) to provide information, increase public awareness and communicate various issues pertaining the Human Rights Defenders rights promotion and protection and advocating for widening civic space in Tanzania. To operationalize the channel, THRDC is looking for the knowledgeable, energetic, self-motivated and proactive Tanzanian Journalist to fill the position of Head of Watetezi Online TV. The Head of Watetezi Online TV will lead the team in implementing the TV designed strategies to ensure the realization of its broad goal.
This is a key position which requires a demonstrated interest and ability to interact with various social media outlets, online media, mainstream media and any other interested partners. Good writing and presentation skills are crucial for this position.
Candidate profiles will at minimum match the essential criteria below.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in joumalism/Mass Communication or field related.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressive experience of working in a similar communications role in either a media house or organization.
- Fluent both in English and Swahili, any other international language is an added advantage.
- Must have good capacity in documenting and news reporting in Swahili and English.
- Must have a good understanding of news editing, journalistic ethics, reporting, feature writing, newsletters development, photojournalism, and communications
- Demonstrated capacity to be able to engage effectively with senior staff of local and international CSOs, the government of Tanzania and the media sector
- Strong analytical skills with an ability to identify and disseminate core messages
- Knowledgeable in challenges facing online media in Tanzania and strategies to sail within.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a collegiate team environment.
- Supervisory role experience in previous assignments is an added advantage.
- Ability to work under pressure; meet timelines with good quality deliverables
How to apply
Please submit your current CV, maximum of 3 pages, and a 1-page application letter in English explaining why you are interested in the position and how your skills and experience match the requirements above VIA [email protected] or
The National Coordinator,
Tanzania Human Rights Defenders Coalition,
P.0 BOX 105926,
Dar es Salaam.
Please observe that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further procedures. The deadline for applications is midnight on 5 of February 2020.
NB: Tanzania Human Rights Defenders Coalition is a free and fair entity, and therefore encourages all qualified Tanzanians to apply. Women are highly encouraged to apply for this position.