UBONGO is Africa’s leading producer of kids’ edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, we create fun, localized, and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches millions of families across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones. Our shows Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 31 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French, and Kinyarwanda. We are now adapting the shows to even more languages including Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, and Twi. This is a great time to join an organization that’s rapidly growing across the continent, and work with a creative and impact-driven team committed to reaching as many families in Africa with life-changing edutainment.
According to the LEGO Foundation, learning through play is when the child is engaged in an activity that is joyful, helps children find meaning in what they are doing or learning, involves active, engaged, mind on thinking, iterative, and encourages social interaction. At Ubongo, we want to make sure our audience, especially children who have access to our content, encounters this experience to make their learning experience more fun.
We are looking for a Learning Through Play Consultant. Working at Ubongo will be forging new ground, but it will challenge and excite you with lots of responsibilities, and plenty of fun, and give you the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
We’re looking for a dynamic, creative, and flexible Learning Through Play consultant to ensure that we maintain the educational aspects of our content by including learning through play in our curriculums and content in general. You’ll work closely with our Head of Education, Disability and Inclusion Specialist, and Education and Research Supervisor, to incorporate learning through play in our curriculum, co-creation and research processes, and our content.
- Curriculum development
- Designing an inclusive curriculum for our shows and products
- Advise on the best practices of designing inclusive learning through play curriculum that is going to cater to all children including those with learning differences.
- Support the development of a LtP framework for our new show that is going to benefit all children including those with learning differences.
- Ubongo Content research
- Support the incorporation of Learning through Play (LtP) in our continuous and creative research for all content and products.
- Research, document and share best practices in engaging learners with special educational needs and disabilities, especially neurodivergent learners with Autism and/or ADHD through co-creation and edutainment content
Advising on incorporating playful moments into our shows
- Lead on incorporating play elements into the Ubongo content
- Reviewing all new content to make sure the researched and suggested playful moments are well incorporated into our shows.
TO BE A MATCH, YOU’LL NEED:
- A degree or qualification in Education, Early Childhood Development, or a similar field. (A degree is not necessary for people with lived experience of neurodivergence as long as they have strong learning through play and curriculum design experience)
- Experience teaching preschool and primary school children
- Experience of curriculum development/designing especially the one that includes learning through play
- A HIGH degree of familiarity with learning through play
- Significant experience in conducting learning through play activities with children with SEND
- Ability to learn new software and research techniques as needed
- Strong analytical and written and verbal communication skills – the role will involve synthesizing information and presenting it to a variety of audiences
- Ability to work remotely (experience with Asana, Slack, and Google Drive is a bonus)
- Fluent in English and any other African Language both written and spoken
- Experience creating engaging learning resources for kids
- Experience of curriculum development
- Experience teaching or working with Autistic kids and/or kids with ADHD.
- We are ideally looking for candidates with lived experience of neurodivergence, if you are the one, you are HIGHLY encouraged to apply.