The Senior Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for all financial and administrative operations with Internews in Tanzania. S/he will work closely with the Internews Tanzania COP, with the Internews Tanzania operations and finance staff, and with other Internews staff in Internews regional office in Kenya and in HQ.
This is a senior position which requires sound technical knowledge and skills in the financial management, administration, and staff management.
Note: Tanzanian citizens are strongly encouraged to apply. Successful candidate must have work authorization in Tanzania.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare end month financial and accounting reports using QuickBooks and Agresso ERP. Responsible for cash and bank reconciliations, oversees and monitors business advances to the project staff, vendors’ vetting, and accruals.
- Ensure proper supporting documentation is provided for all transactions and that Internews accounting policies and procedures are properly implemented.
- Oversee the maintenance of finance and accounting files.
- Maintain the assets inventory.
- Ensure proper supporting documentation is provided for all transactions and that Internews financial policies and procedures are properly implemented. Work closely with the Country Director, Business Manager and Headquarters to ensure that projects are compliant at all levels of funders’ financial rules and regulations.
- Maintain and send financial projections on a monthly basis to the Country Director.
- Prepare budgets, modifications and forecasting jointly with the Country Director.
- Ensure all projects are covered by funders’ obligations.
- Coordinate and maintain a cash flow forecasting system based on program needs.
- Assess and compile all cash needs of the projects, and prepare and submit cash requests to the Country Director.
- Supervise the delivery of funds to the various project locations as required.
- Review all payment requests, and verify and validate all documents submitted for payment.
- Conduct banking transactions. Maintain banking files.
- Provide training as necessary to the staff under his or her supervision.
- Maintains an updated list of all vendors: suppliers of good and services, consultants, employees, and their current contracts and pending payments.
- Maintains filing about funders’ agreements and their modifications, and provides Country Director and project managers with key information about the awards they are in charge.
- Works closely with Internews Grants & Contracts Department about all contracting issues.
- Ensures Procurement policy is strictly adhered. Prepares Procurement Orders’ supporting documentation and submits them to the HQ Grant and Contracts Department for approval.
- Trains admin staff on Internews procurement procedures as necessary, and oversees procurement compliance for goods and services.
- Supervise supply and logistical support for operations. Supervise vehicles.
- Supervise Administrative and Finance staff, provide training and mentorship as required, and evaluate their performance.
- Provide oversight for the preparation of contracts for local staff and consultants according to Tanzanian law and Internews regulations.
- Ensure human resource-related compliance with Internews rules and processes and with local laws and regulations.
- Establish and/or maintain a HR manual for Internews Tanzania staff, a code of conduct and other Internews official guidelines. Track local and international staff leave, and budget coding.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Overall responsibility for sub-grant management at Internews Tanzania, including line managing the Sub-grants Officer.
- Provide oversight in the monitoring of sub-grants and sub-contracts.
- Ensure support is effectively given to Internews sub-grantees and partners with budget preparation, financial implications and budget reporting preparation.
- Ensure sub-grants are sufficiently monitored and evaluated.
- Ensure compliance by all sub-grantees to Internews and any donor, including United States government regulations.
- Master’s Degree in Commerce, Finance, Business Administration or equivalent.
- Professional qualification in Accounting e.g. CPA, ACCA or equivalent qualification.
- Over 7 years’ professional experience, ideally in an international organization in Tanzania, at a senior level with demonstrated impact and ability to handle increasing responsibility and accountability.
- Experience working with USAID and other donors. Demonstrated understanding of USAID donor reporting requirements and rules and regulations highly preferred.
- Experience in managing/supervising sub grants to local and international organizations.
- Ability to guide in the setting of financial objectives and monitoring delivery against goals.
- Demonstrated experience in and excellent understanding of Agresso and other IT based ERP systems, as well as budget monitoring and reporting systems including systems implementation.
- Proven experience in formulating business plans, budgets and finance policies and procedures.
- Capability in evaluation of effective Finance, Administrative and Budget Management processes as well as underlying IT Infrastructure.
- Capability in evaluation of Legislation, Accounting regulations and Tax matters, including employment related subjects.
Skills and abilities
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills. Kiswahili communication skills also required.
- Excellent Information Technology skills (including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Finance systems).
- Willingness and ability to learn and apply new concepts and systems, including new financial and administration software as appropriate.
- Strong management and organizational skills, and ability to manage competing priorities within tight deadlines.
- Solid problem-solving skills, and in particular, the ability to resolve problems quickly and effectively and determine the appropriate course of action.
- Strong leadership, diplomatic and interpersonal skills, including the ability to manage a team and represent Internews Tanzania both internally and externally.
- Able to work independently under minimal supervision in a multicultural working environment.
- Respect for confidentiality; affinity with Internews core values, objectives and beliefs.
- A flexible and enthusiastic approach to work with the ability to be part of a team.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.