The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million.
BBC Swahili Service operates a digital first strategy, publishing content online and on social media platforms, this alongside producing radio news and current affairs programmes in Swahili. The service’s focus is to produce world-class digital content that makes sense of news and events for our local and global audiences.
We are looking for a multimedia journalist with skills in reporting across all platforms and mainly on radio & digital, with presenting and producing skills to work for BBC Swahili. You will need to be proficient in Kiswahili and also be able to write, reversion/translate English text into Kiswahili.
As a Journalist with the BBC Swahili team you will originate research, prepare, produce and present programs, items, packages, interviews, discussions, background, analysis and features, for radio, TV, online and social media platforms. You will be involved in creating digital video for our website and social platforms, and writing for our website to promote our content and engage with our audiences.
Other duties include
- To research, report, write, translate, edit, reversion or adapt stories or programme material for broadcasting and online publication. To find contributors and interviewees as well as other sources of material and/or actuality, as appropriate and to the required specification whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBC Editorial Guidelines. To ensure the availability of required production facilities.
- To perform at the microphone with or without a script, edit and voice packages, conduct interviews and chair discussions and act as a participant in other productions, whether live, pre-recorded or on location.
- To offer ideas for items, programmes/series and online output and to actively contribute to the editorial planning process. To suggest new angles on existing stories, means of moving the story on, and to put forward stories not yet covered.
- To be responsible for a moving story, amending and updating material as required. To be able to freshen, and reversion a story. To be responsible for thinking through and around editorial problems, developing realistic alternative strategies and approaches.
- To understand the department’s strategy and to suggest ideas appropriate to its distinctive style and content.
- To be responsible for studio production of live and pre-recorded programmes. To respond to breaking stories whilst on air and to resolve technical difficulties.
Are you the right candidate?
We are looking for an experienced and versatile digital journalist with proven journalistic skills, good broadcast voice, energy, creativity, flexibility and an in-depth understanding of the news, politics, culture and social issues relevant to Our Swahili audience.
You will be able to use a range of audio & digital equipment and information technology software to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
Band: Local Recruit
Contract type: Continuing
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Any offer of employment with the BBC is conditional upon you having the right to work in Dar es Salaam
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
The deadline for submitting the application is 08 September, 2020.