The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million.
BBC Swahili Service operates a digital first strategy, publishing content online and on social media platforms, this alongside producing radio news and current affairs programmes in Swahili. The service’s focus is to produce world-class digital content that makes sense of news and events for our local and global audiences.
We are looking for an experienced digital journalist to create content in multiple formats, in Swahili primarily and in English if required. They should be capable of creatively engaging audiences with interesting storytelling angles and techniques for all digital/social platforms. You will work to Senior Digital Journalists, and the Assistant Editor and Editor of the BBC Swahili Service and be part of a team with colleagues based in both Dar es salaam and Nairobi and other parts of the region.
The digital journalist will produce news and features in text and video, working across digital platforms to ensure the highest quality content is created for our audiences, and to make sure all content produced conforms to BBC values and editorial standards.
Other duties include:
- To report, present, research, write, translate, edit and adapt text stories, video or audio material for audiences on digital platforms and radio
- To create original digital content for all multimedia output
- To be responsible for thinking through and around editorial problems, developing realistic alternative strategies and approaches.
- To maintain professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBC’s Editorial guidelines.
- To offer ideas for programme content; to suggest new angles on existing stories and to put forward stories not yet covered.
- To be responsible for a moving story, amending and updating material as required. To be able to freshen a story and write interesting headlines.
- To provide content for other areas of the BBC including the BBC Africa hub and BBC News
Are you the right candidate?
We are looking for an experience Journalist with a proven record of experience in all aspects of delivering powerful content in a challenging environment for multiple digital platforms. With a knowledge of the East Africa region and relevant contacts you will have proven journalistic skills across digital platforms, good knowledge of the digital media market, creativity and flexibility, as well as a genuine passion for explaining the world to our global audiences.
Band: Local Recruit
Contract type: Continuing
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Any offer of employment with the BBC is conditional upon you having the right to work in Dar es Salaam
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
The deadline for submitting the application is 08 September, 2020.