JOB DESCRIPTION FOR THE LOGISTICS’ OFFICER
Identification of Position
Position Title: Country Logistics Officer
Location: Kibondo – Kigoma Tanzania
Reports to: Project Director
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international non-governmental organization with a mission to accompany, serve, and advocate for the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people. The organization was founded in November 1980 and has a presence in over 56 countries. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support and guidance of an international office in Rome. The style of JRS service is human and spiritual, working in situations of greatest need, seeking the long-term wellbeing of refugees, while not neglecting their immediate or urgent needs. JRS offers opportunities to a wide variety of staff, local and international, while maintaining a realistic and localized scheme of salary/stipend, insurance, etc.
The Logistics’ primary responsibility is to oversee the procurement, management and safe running of all assets and logistics needs of the Country/Project Offices in collaboration with the Programme Staff and under the direction and supervision of the Project Director.
- Organize all logistics processes, including purchasing, warehouse, communications and transport, as well as the related administrative procedures, for JRS operations.
- To supervise and support all logistic personnel working for JRS.
- Responsible for the physical reception of items
- Responsible for guests and visitors (airport, hotel and basic assistance as needed)
- To implement and monitor logistics systems, in accordance with JRS policies and procedures.
- To establish and maintain good contacts with suppliers, government offices, UN agencies and other NGOs with regards to logistical matters.
- To report monthly on all logistics activities to the Country Director.
- To assist the Project Director/Country Director with logistics advice during the drawing up of new project proposals.
- To supervise the maintenance of the computers
- To perform any other duties as requested by the Country Director.
- In case of war, civil disturbance or arbitrary malicious intent, in consultation with the program manager, to safeguard vehicles, communications and other capital equipment, either by disabling it, hiding it, or by driving it to safety, under the condition that this effort does not jeopardize the personal safety of any staff involved.
- Procurement and Storage
- Manage procurement of items based on authorised requisitions, in line with JRS procedures. This includes the purchase of food for the kitchen
- Liaise closely with the Administrator/Finance Officer, as well as the Program Manager on local and international procurement.
- Keep records of and maintain contacts with suppliers and local repair/maintenance shops, and to conduct price comparisons among them, in order to get the best deals.
- Transport and Communication
Facilitate timely, safe and reliable transport for staff and equipment
- Regulate the use of vehicles and.
- Install, program and maintain communications equipment, including telephones, radios and fax.
- Supervising and planning vehicle allocation in order to optimally serve the needs of the program.
- Monitoring the fuel consumption for the generator and ensure immediate recording of logbooks (fuel and mileage of JRS vehicles and the generator.
- Take care of maintenance, security and good use of the assigned vehicle and communication equipment
- Personally follow JRS regulations when driving a JRS vehicle.
- Prepare job descriptions for logistics staff.
- Recruit, instruct and supervise logistics staff.
- Give advice to the Project Director/Country Director concerning with the security and situational status.
- Manage and supervise on a daily basis the watchmen and cleaner.
- Ensure that the proper administrative procedures and standards for order follow-up, ordering, stock keeping and dispatch are followed.
- Keep a proper record of expenditures, receipts, requisitions, purchase order forms, waybills, and all other documents.
- Qualifications and Experience
- University degree or equivalent
- A valid Class “C” Tanzanian license
- At least three (3) years of relevant experience working with NGO in logistics and driving.
- Experience in managing people/teams.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to working with marginalized communities such as those of refugees.
- Familiar with different locations such as refugees’ camps and the regions where they are found
- Fluency in English, Swahili (written and spoken) and
- Excellent writing skills.
- Strong analytical, reporting, strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills/experience.
- Strong IT and computer skills
- Physically fit, good eyesight
Core values and ethics
- Good understanding of and compatibility with the values of JRS;
- Very good pastoral sense and listening abilities and communication/inter- personal skills;
- Demonstrated ability and experience of working in a multi-cultural environment with good multicultural sensitivities and in a flexible environment;
- Willingness and ability to travel to the regional country offices, when appropriate, for project monitoring visits and live a simple lifestyle;
- Be available immediately
How to apply for the Job
Interested candidates are requested to submit their applications only and only Online to the following email address: [email protected]
The submitted file must be composed with the following scanned documents:
- A letter of motivation not exceeding one page;
- A full curriculum vitae not exceeding two pages;
- Two certificates of service from recent employers;
- A certified photocopy of the original academic degree(s) or certificate(s) of achievement;
- Certificates of service rendered;
- Three referees’ names with their e-mail address and telephone number, among the three included is the last employer;
- A valid criminal police clearance
The deadline for applications is Tuesday 31 at 17:00 TZ Time. Every application submitted must have the title of the position as the name of the submitted 7 document file. Any file which does not contain the mentioned 7 documents or does not have the position title as name will not be considered.