ABOUT GEITA GOLD MINING LTD
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of North Western Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Manager – Underground Mine Production
Contract type & Duration: Unspecified time
Department: Underground Mining
Reporting to: Senior Manager – Underground Mining
Number of Positions: One (1)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
To build, develop, and lead an effective team capable to deliver the strategy to transition Geita Gold Mine to a major underground operation, to be executed in line with specific instructions from Senior Manager – Underground Mining and requirements of relevant Tanzanian Mining Legislation
- Bachelor of Mining Engineering (BEng) or an equivalent tertiary qualification.
- Underground Mine Managers Certificate.
- Site Entry requirements which may include mines Health Surveillance.
- GGML is an equal opportunity employer: Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- 10+ years’ proven experience in mine production in underground mining environment of which at least three (3) years is at management level within an underground mine department.
- Experience working with International UG mining contractors who operate underground mechanized trackless equipment will be highly regarded.
- Proven experience and ability to create and manage budgets for a UG operation.
- High skill level with UG mine planning experience.
- Demonstrated experience in an underground mining production environment.
- Proven track record of managing and leading large and diverse teams
- Hands on approach and service orientated outlook.
MAIN OR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Identify and interpret safety risks and resolve emerging issues; and ensuring that appropriate focus and resources are available to achieve safety objectives.
Mining Production Processes & Practices:
- Understands key underground production and development processes in large scale trackless mining environments.
- Knows when to engage Specialist’s support.
- Understanding of safe and effective underground production practices, management, support systems.
- Establishing Paste and CAF infrastructure in Underground environment.
- Commissioning Underground Paste and CAF operations in underground environment.
- Able to manage performance based on interpretation of data and can initiate and drive the operational improvements as required.
- Demonstrated ability of delivering to production and cost targets.
- Ability to effectively lead and communicate to all levels of the team.
- Understands key processes and systems to drive the best performance from all team members.
Working with and managing U/G mine contractors:
- Training and developing new and inexperienced workers to become safe and effective underground.
- Understanding of the key skills & knowledge required by all team members in order to carry out their roles effectively and safely.
- Demonstrated ability of being able to identify and develop emerging talents within a multi-discipline team.
- Strong understanding of mining cost drivers and their impact to the overall financial results of the operation.
- Ability to develop operational budgets in consultation with Senior Underground Manager and other service departments.
- Understanding of good mine planning processes and the ability to drive the establishment of required planning systems and approaches.
- Strong knowledge in underground contract management practices and demonstrated ability in managing underground mining contracts.
- Understands AGA project management standards and has applied them in a minor project to conceptual level.
- Ability to lead a minor project and interact with test work and engineering consultant service providers.
- Thinks creatively to develop multiple, workable options.
- Generates innovative solutions, which continuously improve the performance of existing assets, products, services or processes.
- Demonstrating an openness to new ideas and new ways of working.
- Build, develop and lead the mining team in line with instructions given by the Senior Underground Manager.
- Establish and maintain processes to ensure that all environmental risks and emerging issues are identified, and mitigation plans to put in place.
- Establish and maintain processes to ensure the development of optimised short-term, and medium-term plans that ensure delivery of the budget requirements and the operations strategy.
- Ensure that the use of all resources is optimised to ensure delivery of the plan.
- Identify areas for improvement in operational blueprints (systems, processes, procedures and tasks) to ensure adherence to plan, reduce variation and maximise cost effective utilisation.
- Develop and implement systems to collect and manage operational data and to monitor performance.
- Establish and maintain systems for identifying opportunities to drive operational excellence.
- Ensure collaboration with all departments to achieve streamlined delivery to plan.
- Awareness/management of declaration of conflict of interest of direct reports
- Awareness/management of SOX control accountabilities
- Awareness/management of Delegation of Authority
- Awareness/management of reporting (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual) requirements
- Ability to lead senior technical specialists.
- 1 to 2 years’ experience working with the P500 and Operational Excellence (OE) initiatives or equivalent.
- Worked in highly mechanized Underground operations.
- Advanced knowledge in contract management practices, technical consultants and operational mining contracts.
- Advanced understanding of project management standards and has applied them in a minor – medium project to conceptual level.
- Demonstrate advance level of knowledge of planning systems and practices from long term to short term mine planning.
- The ability to work across all disciplines, where rigorous engagement and interaction is expected.
- The ability to handle conflict resolution.
- The ability to utilize equipment, office software -MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) to prepare correspondence, reports, forms, mailings.
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with good presentation and facilitation skills.
- The ability to use statistical methods to analyse, validate & verify analytical data with a strong attention to detail.
- The ability to work and communicate with people at all levels/good interpersonal skills.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Please apply through our recruitment portal by clicking the APPLY button below.
- On the portal you will be required to upload your detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees. Please do not attach certificates that are not related to the qualifications stated above.
- You will also be required to upload a cover / application letter addressed to “Senior Manager Human Resources’’ Geita Gold Mining Ltd”. Subject should be “Manager – Underground Mine Production”
- If you struggle to apply via the link provided, please head over to our website https://www.geitamine.com/en/people/ for a step-by-step guide on how to apply for jobs on our recruitment portal (SuccessFactors).
- You will be required to present original certificates if you are contacted for interviews.
- Internal Applicants (those currently employed by AngloGold Ashanti) must have their application letter endorsed by their Head of Department (HOD) or Manager once Removed (MoR).
- Applications should reach the above on or before 11th December 2022 at 5:30 Pm
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! GGML does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately to our Security Department, Investigation Unit, by calling +255 28 216 01 40 Ext 1559 (rates apply) or use our whistle-blowing channels by sending an SMS to +27 73 573 8075 (SMS rates apply) or emailing [email protected] or use the internet at www.tip-offs.com