The Field Operations Project Specialist will occupy a dynamic client-facing role with a large degree of scope to help shape the Tanzania core operations strategy. This role will also provide direct management support to staff members, while growing and building a team culture and ethos.
Your work will be fast-paced, exciting, and diverse. You will create lasting and noticeable impact for hundreds of thousands of smallholder farmers and you’ll have fun doing it. You’ll work alongside our field team and our farmers alike, and travel widely within our organizational operation. Most importantly, you’ll always be driving towards actionable impact – no empty reports, no mundane policy memos; just high-quality research, analysis, tools, and results.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and organize the weekly Field Leaders’ meeting and coordinate weekly district and regional meetings
- Manage and mentor Senior Field Directors through 6 month reviews, periodic development plans, weekly check-ins, and team meetings
- Continuously develop the skills and knowledge of the SFDs and FDs through mentorship, training, and support in order to fulfill field leadership roles as we expand and develop our program
- Lead the Field Operations Team and other departments with feedback and ideas for improvement in order to continuously develop and improve any field-facing activities
- Show a commitment to treating staff fairly at all times in line with One Acre Fund values helping to build a productive, professional, and pleasant working culture for both HQ and field staff.
- Support in driving the importance of impact to all levels of the field team, and positively motivate them about the work they provide
- Attend weekly systems meeting and other inter-departmental forums as a representative of FOPs
- Play leading role in inter and intra department communications through weekly emails, conference calls, direct messaging and in-person meetings.
- Coordinate with other departments to support the field teams in day to day execution of their tasks
- Lead and coordinate the recruitment, selection, and onboarding for new hires at Assistant Field Director, Field Director, and Senior Field Director level
- Work Closely with Government Relations team to enhance cooperation between OAF field teams and government officials across our areas of operation
- Project Management
- Manage and lead on project design and implementation for the full range of field facing activities across our regions of operation putting farmer impact at the forefront of all project design
- Design all projects and activities in partnership with the Field Operations budget holder to ensure maximum efficiency in resource allocation
- Carry out regular field visits to help support the field operation priorities such as expansion or repayment collection
- Design a comprehensive Customer Protection Strategy to enhance OAF Tanzania’s reputation with farmers and significantly boost year on year farmer retention
- Coordinate with Expansion team to continue to grow the program to new sites, districts, and regions within Tanzania
- Hold primary responsibility for addressing customer inquiries from the CE hotline in coordination with the CE team.
- Take on ad-hoc projects through the season in response to strategic priorities
- Take on ad-hoc roles in support of field facing trials, or during busy periods such as input distribution, if required
- Monitor and Evaluate
- Use data from KPIs, surveys, field visit reports and roster to support SFDs with regional and district specific strategies to reach departmental goals for repayment, enrollment, retention, and agriculture training.
- Lead on producing regional and district reports on key activities for FOPs and TZ country leadership
CAREER GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with at least 3 year of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for sustainable community/international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Bachelors or Masters Degree-holder from an East African University
- Demonstrated ability and previous mentorship, organizational, and leadership experience
- Strong verbal and written communication in Swahili and English
- Proven ability of: data analysis, public speaking, and field-based competency
- Demonstration of commitment to exhibiting One Acre Fund values in a leadership position
- Computer skills including: Google Mail, Google Documents, and Microsoft Office suite
- Strong organizational skills to drive projects and to be held accountable for their results
- Ability to plan and execute complex projects independently using a results-based approach
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with enthusiasm, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.