Founded in 1807, The University of Maryland, Baltimore, (also known as the University of Maryland or UMB) comprises of some of the oldest professional schools including school of dentistry, law, medicine, pharmacy, social work and nursing in the United States.
UMB works around the world to enhance capacity of governments, Regional and District Health Management Teams to improve the quality of health services through targeted technical assistance, systems development and institutionalization of quality improvement initiatives. In Tanzania, UMB works through its affiliate, Maryland Global Initiatives Tanzania (MGIT) a not for profit organization. UMB has teamed up with Amref Health Africa to implement a Comprehensive HIV Care and Treatment project aimed at acceleration of achieving the 95-95-95 goals for HIV Epidemic control and building of sustainable health systems for optimized population-wide health outcomes. The project which is branded as Afya Kamilifu Project received funding from the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS
Relief (PEPFAR) through CDC Tanzania and will be implemented in ZNZ islands, Tanga and Simiyu regions. UMB and Amref Health Africa will work under the guidance and close collaboration with CDC Tanzania, Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children, Zanzibar Ministry of health, President’s Office Regions Authority and Local Government (PORALG), RHMTs, CHMTs, Health facilities and other stakeholders for successful implementation of the Afya Kamilifu Project.
REPORTS TO: Administratively to Regional Project Manager and technically to the Pediatrics & Adolescent Advisor
LOCATION: Simiyu (Bariadi office)
The Pediatric & Adolescent Officer will work under the leadership of the AK Regional Project Manager and Technical oversight of the paediatric and adolescent advisor in all technical matters related to pediatrics and adolescent living with HIV. S/he will be responsible for R/CHMT and facility level oversight of day to day paediatric and adolescent HIV service delivery while providing technical assistance, capacity building and coordination of related activities. S/He will work closely with the technical team to ensure Paediatric and adolescents specific 95-95-95 targets are achieved.
1. Work with Pediatrics and Adolescent HIV Advisor to prepare technical annual work plans on all matters related to Pediatric and adolescent HIV care for Simiyu.
2. Extract and Provide monthly, quarterly and annual targets for pediatric and adolescents assistants from overall pediatrics project targets in 95/95/95, to form part of Performance targets and provide thorough orientation to subordinate(s).
3. Work with R/CHMTs and Health facilities in the implementation of high-quality comprehensive Pediatric and Adolescent HIV care activities in Simiyu.
4. Provide regional Leadership on implementation of Peds and adolescents focused interventions to increase HIV identification, linkage to care: ensuring ART Start; Age appropriate disclosure; ART optimization, Correct dosing, retention to care to attain viral suppression with the support of Pediatric and adolescent HIV Advisor.
5. Provide technical assistance to R/CHMTs and health facilities to Spearhead pediatric and adolescent friendly attributes and services at Pediatric clinics at all supported sites.
6. Represent Pediatric and adolescent officer/UMB as appropriate whenever required at R/CHMT level to influence priorities, activities and budgets meetings.
7. Work with the Pediatric and adolescent Advisor and R/CHMTs to coordinate training and capacity building of Health care workers and caretakers on Paediatric and Adolescent HIV care and treatment services in Simiyu.
8. Co-ordinate supportive supervision and mentoring visits to the health facilities with the R/CHMTs and aid in the development of Pediatrics and Adolescent HIV service delivery improvement plans in SIMIYU supported sites.
9. Work closely with the facilities, CSO and communities to develop effective tracking mechanisms for lost to follow-up of peds and adolescents.
10. Work with Amref Team lead to Coordinate and facilitate timely weekend clinic incentive plans and claims: refreshments, extra duties at supported sites in Simiyu.
11. Support Simiyu AK supported sites /health facilities in proper and complete documentation in CTC 2 cards and database for accurate monthly and quarterly data
12. Analyze monthly / quarterly data from supported districts and identify gaps in pediatric and adolescent HIV care and work closely with the QI team to implement interventions towards addressing issues identified.
13. Work with Immediate supervisor, DACCs, social workers, and relevant authorities to identify pediatric specific implementation gaps, and deliverables required during AK campaigns and marathons to reach desired Pediatrics and Adolescent specific targets.
14. Participate in the preparation of Simiyu -All supported sites report: monthly; quarterly and annual reports, best practices, presentations, and narratives which documents UMB efforts to provide quality care.
15. Support integration of Pediatrics & Adolescent activities within the CHMT’s and facility Quality Improvement plans.
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE:
- Registered MD or equivalent required.
- MPH or any Master in health-related field is an added advantage.
- Minimum of 3 years of clinical experience required.
- Minimum of 3 years working in Pediatric HIV at the national and/or international level
- Prior experience in HIV/AIDS coordination and comprehensive activities implementation
- Current clinical practice License as Medical Officer
- Excellent knowledge of various National and World Health Organization guidelines on HIV care and treatment in adults and children and, TB.
- Prior experience in capacity building, such as planning and facilitating training and providing technical assistance is an added advantage.
- Prior experience in curriculum development, clinical teaching and conducting trainings.
- Must be a computer literate with knowledge and skills in MS Word, Ms. Excel, Ms.PowerPoint. Knowledge of any Statistical data package will be an added advantage
Instructions for Submitting Applications:
- All applications should be submitted electronically to: [email protected]
- Applications should include 3 references that are familiar with applicant’s work experience.References should include contact information including daytime phone, and e-mail address.
- All applications should include a cover letter that details one’s suitability for the job highlighting key functional areas, expected qualifications, and experiences.
- Candidates should attach a CV/Resume that highlights one’s key achievements in areas relevant to the job
- Job related stated qualifications and experience are the basic minimum requirements that each applicant must meet to be considered for interviewing.
- All applicants should include daytime phone and skype contact information.
- Deadline for application is 31 st July at 5:00 PM EAT. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered
Maryland Global Initiatives Tanzania (MGIT) is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified persons to apply regardless of gender, ethnicity, or any other status variable.