VA No.: DaresSalaam-2020-018
The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position below.
Who May Apply: All Interested Candidates/All Sources
Position Title: PHS – Influenza/Emerging Infectious Diseases
Open Date: March 10, 2020
Close Date: March 23, 2020
The Sr. Public Health Specialist for the Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program (FELTP) works under the supervision of the Division of Global Health Protection Program Director to provide technical assistance and oversight for all CDC-funded programs in support of: 1) Tanzania national and sub-national governments, and; 2) national and international non-governmental organizations (NGO) and implementing partners supporting Global Health Security (GHS) activities in workforce development, field epidemiology/outbreak responses and laboratory system strengthening.The incumbent serves as the primary CDC contact for external partners for all issues related to CDC-supported workforce development, field epidemiology/outbreak responses and laboratory strengthening, and including outbreak response components. Serves as the primary contributor to the planning, development, and review of workforce capacity building activities for workforce development, field epidemiology/outbreak responses and laboratory strengthening including outbreak response components of the annual Global Health Security Agenda (GHSA) Interagency Workplan for Tanzania. They monitor and evaluates progress of projects, identifying technical, personnel, logistical, and financial challenges and makes or recommends revisions as necessary to overcome obstacles and constraints to progress.
Detailed Responsibilities are attached separately on the website.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three years working in field epidemiology or laboratory setting, either health care, national reference or laboratory, veterinary sciences, or research-oriented facility is required.
- Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s level degree in Applied Biology, Molecular Biology, Medical Laboratory Technology or medicine, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, biology, microbiology or chemistry is required.
Completion of additional 6 months of post-graduate training in Applied Epidemiology and Laboratory Management, or Master of Public Health, MSc Medical Microbiology or Masters in Biomedical Sciences is required.
- LANGUAGE: Fluent English (writing, reading and speaking) are required. Fluent Kiswahili (writing, reading and speaking) are required. (this may be tested)
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- The U.S. Mission in Dar es Salaam offers compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- Other Information:
- HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- To apply for this position, applicants MUST apply electronically via ERA.
For more information, visit this link https://tz.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
- Required Documents:
- In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Bachelor Degree
- Masters Degree
- Copy of Passport
- Work permit (if not a citizen)
- Other (if any)
- Other 2 (if any)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted only via email.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Tanzania.
Be cautious: Never pay for securing a job: No Real employer seeks any fee from a job-seeker at any stage of the hiring process. MABUMBE does not charge candidates for job applications or job offers. Mabumbe.com is committed to ensuring that all job ads on our site are for legitimate job opportunities. Report any employer asking Money from you.
Subscribe to FREE Job Alerts!