The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, , Republic of South Sudan, Republic of Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda, South Sudan, and Tanzania) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO).
(1 post) (REF: EAC/HR/2022-23/12)
Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary (Finance and Administration)
Organ/Institution: East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO)
Station: Kigali, Rwanda
Main Purpose of the Job:
To coordinate efficient financial resource utilization and ensure that all payments are made in compliance with rules and regulations
Duties and responsibilities:
- Interpret and render advice on all the policies and regulations of the Community pertaining to financial management;
- Undertake management accounting and preparation of final accounts and statements;
- Authorize payment and maintaining financial contribution records;
- Prepare and submit annual budgets, work plans and demand notes;
- Implement recommendations arising out of audit reports;
- Ensure accuracy of the monthly payroll;
- Negotiate bank commission rates and fixed deposit interest rates;
- Monitor financial utilization of funds on bank accounts;
- Reconcile and maintain of General ledger accounts;
- Provide accurate, timely, reliable financial information as well as timely submission of annual financial statements of accounts; and
- Perform other related duties assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary.
Key Qualifications and Experience:
- A Masters’ degree in Finance or Accounting or equivalent qualification from a recognised university
- with certification in any of the following: Chartered Accountant (ACCA/ACA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Minimum ten (10) years relevant experience, with five (5) years at a senior level,
Skills and Competencies:
- Ability to operate modern accounting software,
- Proficiency in computerized accounting packages
- Very good communication skills (verbal, written and presentation);
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills;
- In-depth experience of accounting principles and international accounting standards (IPSA); Proficiency in Computerized accounting packages (Sunsystems)
Eligibility for applications:
Only applicants from the Republic of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 18th November, 2022.
Candidates who have already applied for this position are required to re-apply.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. All Applications MUST STRICTLY:
- have EAC application form, CV, application letter, ID ;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the job reference number;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- provide referees.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records .
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: [email protected]
Website : www.eac.int