The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, Republic of South Sudan, the Republic of Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, DRC, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat.
PRINCIPAL EDUCATION OFFICER
(1 Post) (REF: EAC/HR/2022-23/08)
Organ : EAC Secretariat
Grade : P3
Directorate : Social Sectors
Department : Education, Science and Technology
Reports to : Director, Social Sectors
Duty Station : Arusha, Tanzania
Main Purpose of the Job:
To coordinate the formulation of strategies and policies and implementation of projects and programmes related to training, education, science and technology for the Community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and monitor projects and programmes in education, training, science and technology;
- Coordinate and harmonise education, training, Science and Technology programmes;
- Assist Partner States in coordinating their human resource policies and programmes;
- Assist Partner States in identifying and establishing EAC Centres of Excellence;
- Co-ordinate the development of harmonized syllabi, certification, training standards and accreditation of training institutions;
- Promote and strengthen collaboration of joint research, training and development of science and technology;
- Promote the activities of Inter-University Council of East Africa;
- Collaborate with Partner States to put in place education and training programmes for people with special needs;
- Encourage and support participation of the private sector in the development of human resource; and
- Prepare progress and Council reports.
Qualifications and experience:
A Master’s Degree in Education, Education Planning and Management, Development Economics, Human Resource Planning and Development or equivalent degree from a recognised University/Institution.
10 years of experience with 5 years at the Senior Level.
Skills and Competencies:
Analytical, presentation, research, planning, management, supervisory, networking, negotiation, interpersonal, interactive, communication, and computer skills.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 18th November, 2022.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. All Applications MUST STRICTLY:
- have EAC application form, CV, application letter, ID ;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the job reference number;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- provide referees.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records .
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: [email protected]
Website : www.eac.int