The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, Republic of South Sudan, Republic of Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, DRC, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, South Sudan, and the United Republic of Tanzania) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC).
PRINCIPAL HEALTH OFFICER (CLINICAL RESEARCH)
(1 post) (REF: EAC/HR/2022-23/14)
Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary (Research)
Organ/Institution: East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC)
Duty Station: Bujumbura, Burundi
Main purpose of job:
The Principal Health Officer (Clinical Research) is responsible for developing and managing the clinical research function at the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC). The key function of this position is to coordinate clinical research activities within the EAC Partner States in collaboration with the National Health Research and Academic Institutions in each Country with a view of ensuring that research being conducted answers the key health issues in the EAC and advises on topical areas for clinical research.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Liaise with the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) and the Principal Health Officer (Operational and Applied Research) to coordinate the development and implementation of health research activities and work plans in collaboration with the EAC Partner States’ National Health Research and Academic Institutions and other stakeholders and partners;
- Liaise with the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) to develop and/or solicit for clinical research project proposals and market them to sponsors for funding;
- Provide clinical research-based technical expertise to health policy analysis and development;
- Develop clinical research materials and guidelines for presentation and distribution to health research stakeholders in the EAC Partner States;
- Perform any other relevant duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research), the Governing Board of the East African Community Health Research Commission (EACHRC), the EAC Sectoral Council of Ministers of Health and/or the EAC Council of Ministers from time to time.
Academic qualifications and experience:
A Master’s degree in Health Sciences. A post graduate qualification in clinical research will be an added advantage;
Relevant working experience of at least ten (10) years in clinical research or related fields with five (5) of which must at senior level;
Must have published at least two (2) articles in international peer review journals, with at least one (1) article as the first or lead author.
Skills and competences:
- Ability to develop integrated results oriented annual work plans and other Organization-wide activities (setting objectives, developing strategies, budgeting, developing policies and procedures, and organizing the functions necessary to accomplish the activities);
- Should have extensive and demonstrable knowledge of clinical research and the translation of results of health research into health policy and practice;
- Demonstrable competency in public health systems development, management and institution building at national, regional and/or international level;
- Demonstrated knowledge of statistical data collection and analysis and ability to systematically review published literature in clinical research and assess the quality and results of relevant published studies.
- Proficiency in computer office applications and automated statistical analytical tools and/or related packages
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Should be fluent in the English language.
- Working knowledge of French and or Kiswahili will be an added advantage.
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- Ability to work as a team leader and to motivate others;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver on the set deadlines
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 18th November, 2022
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. All Applications MUST STRICTLY:
- have EAC application form, CV, application letter, ID ;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the job reference number;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- provide referees.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records .
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: [email protected]
Website : www.eac.int