The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, Republic of South Sudan, Republic of Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, DRC, South Sudan, and the United Republic of Tanzania) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO).
PRINCIPAL OFFICER, INNOVATION, TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT AND ACQUISITION
(1 post) (REF: EAC/HR/2022-23/16)
Organ/Institution: East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO)
Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary (Head of Programme Development)
Duty station: Kigali, Rwanda
Main purpose of the job:
To coordinate EASTECO’s work on Innovation, Technology Development and Acquisition to ensure the effective and efficient development, management and application of Science, Technology and Innovation in the East African Community.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the development, coordination & execution of a regional innovation strategy including formulation of mechanisms for the identification, promotion and growth of special talents in Science and Technology with particular emphasis on the youth and gender parity;
- Facilitate and drive innovation outcomes with emphasis on projects that may include patentable and/or game changing solutions to solve regional development challenges as well as coordinating with other innovation groups outside the region;
- Identify opportunities for partnerships & drive development of those relationships (joint ventures, strategic partnerships, innovation accelerators, etc.);
- Identify and leverage opportunities for technological development and acquisition;
- Coordinate the design of programs/projects for the promotion, use and development of indigenous knowledge and leverage the potential of applicable research;
- Evaluate and recommend relevant new/emerging technologies and facilitate their dissemination and adoption;
- Formulate and facilitate the implementation of programs to promote regional science, technology and innovation centres and parks in the Community;
- Ensure that innovative technology solutions are communicated and demonstrated through relevant mechanisms including conferences, exhibitions and other fora;
- Work with relevant partners to develop mechanisms for management of intellectual property in the Community;
- Participate in preparation of Progress reports, work plans and budgets for the Commission.
- Perform other related duties assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary, Programme Development.
Qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree (at least Masters Level) in a relevant field of Science and Technology. Other relevant qualifications related to Project management and/or business management will be an advantage.
- 10+ years’ experience in Science and Technology field, science policy and/or scientific research with at least 5 years at a senior level;
- Experience in program/project planning and management and in developing project proposals;
- Knowledge of EAC partner states science, technology and innovation strengths and capabilities is a plus.
Skills and competencies:
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks with the ability to meet stated deadlines,
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop a wide range of high-level contacts within academia, industry, government and civil society;
- Must possess analytical and problem solving skills,
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills and a proven ability to work independently with little guidance and oversight in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, able to produce clear, concise reports, and to present complex concepts to non-expert audiences;
- Reliable, positive and effective team player with a track record working in multi-disciplinary teams and delivering results through collaboration;
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for science, emerging technologies and the internationalization of science;
- Advanced skills in computer software applications.
Eligibility for applications:
Only applicants from the Republic of Republic of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, and Tanzania are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 18th November, 2022
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. All Applications MUST STRICTLY:
- have EAC application form, CV, application letter, ID ;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the job reference number;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- provide referees.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted .
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records .
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Website : www.eac.int