The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, Republic of South Sudan, Republic of Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, DRC, South Sudan and the United Republic of Tanzania) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO).
PRINCIPAL OFFICER – SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
(1 post) (REF: EAC/HR/2022-23/15)
Organ/Institution: East African Science and Technology Commission (EASTECO)
Reports to: Deputy Executive Secretary (Head of Programme Development)
Duty station: Kigali, Rwanda
Main purpose of the job:
To lead and coordinate the development and implementation of Programs and Projects in Scientific Research and Development, including monitoring the implementation of regional Science and Technology policies in order to ensure the effective and efficient development and application of Science, Technology and Innovation in the Community.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Lead the formulation of Regional Scientific Research Policies including mechanisms to safeguard the region from hazards that might result from research activities and the application of Science and Technology;
- Formulate mechanisms for promoting the further development of regional Scientific Research Centres of Excellence;
- Coordinate the design and implementation of common ethical guidelines for research and its application in the community;
- Lead and coordinate regional collaborative scientific research for the benefit of the development agenda of the Community including working with relevant partners to guide regional research objectives to target development challenges in the community;
- Identify opportunities for strategic partnerships with academia, industry, government and civil society & drive development of those relationships;
- Formulate and implement mechanisms to support the dissemination, exchange and utilization of scientific research findings, scientific information and products from scientific research in the Community;
- Assist with fundraising efforts for new regional initiatives in scientific research
- Collaborate with relevant actors to synthesize available scientific research into actionable insights and development-focused innovation concepts, and leverage the potential of applicable research;
- Liaise with relevant partners to promote and support skills development for Science, Mathematics, Engineering and Technology, with focus on the regional needs;
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of regional (EAC) Science and Technology efforts and policies including the further development of regional indicators;
- Participate in preparation of work plans and budget for the Commission;
- Perform other related duties assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary, Programme Development.
Qualifications and experience:
- PhD in a relevant field of Science, with additional qualifications in Research and Development;
- 10+ years’ of experience working in a Scientific Research Organization with 5 years at senior level;
- Proven track record of high quality academic and/or policy publications
- Experience in data/information management and utilization of scientific research findings.
- Knowledge of technical concepts related to program planning and management, research and survey methodology;
- Experience in developing project proposals.
Skills and competencies:
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks with the ability to meet stated deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop a wide range of high-level contacts within academia, industry, government and civil society;
- Must possess analytical and problem solving skills,
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills and a proven ability to work
- independently with little guidance and oversight in a fast-paced environment ;
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English, able to produce clear,
- concise reports, and to present complex concepts to non-expert audiences;
- Reliable, positive and effective team player with a track record working in multidisciplinary teams and delivering results through collaboration;
- Advanced skills in computer software applications.
Eligibility for applications:
Only applicants from the Republic of Republic of Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and United Republic of Tanzania are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once.
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System.
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 18th November, 2022
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. All Applications MUST STRICTLY:
- have EAC application form, CV, application letter, ID ;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the job reference number;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- provide referees.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records.
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
E-mail: [email protected]
Website : www.eac.int