The Governments of the United Republic of Tanzania and the Republic of Malawi are jointly implementing the Songwe River Basin Development Programme (SRBDP), which is managed by the Secretariat of the Joint Songwe River Basin Commission (S-SRBC) with offices located at Kyela, Tanzania. The Songwe River Basin (SRB) covers an area of 4,243 km2 in seven districts of: Karonga and Chitipa (in Malawi); and Kyela, Mbeya Rural, Ileje, Mbozi and Momba (in Tanzania). The basin is part of the wider Zambezi River basin. The river forms part of the border between Malawi and Tanzania. Increasing competition for space, water and natural resources is degrading the Songwe River Basin.
Both riparian countries in 2017 ratified the Convention on the Establishment of the Joint Songwe River Basin Commission (SRBC) to sustainably manage the basin natural resources and implement the Songwe River Basin Development Programme (SRBDP). The Convention came into force on 1st July, 2018. The SRBDP is a multipurpose transboundary Programme under which the challenges and opportunities resulting from the behaviour of the Songwe River are planned to be worked on through various projects. The projects are to cover construction of dams for flood control and hydropower productions, development of irrigated agriculture, water supply, fisheries and tourism to mention a few including non-structural measures.
The Strengthening Transboundary Cooperation and Integrated Natural Resource Management in the Songwe River Basin (STCINRM-SRB) Project as one of the non-structural measures has been established to prepare the ground for the implementation of the SRBDP by addressing the problem of environmental degradation. Specifically, the Project objective is to enhance basin protection, livelihoods and integrated water resources management through improved transboundary cooperation and sustained ecosystem services. The Project will be implemented for a period of four years.
The Secretariat of the Joint Songwe River Basin, therefore, seeks to use part of the proceeds of the grant package to recruit individual consultants to fill the positions of the Hydrologist/FEWS Expert; a Financing Mobilisation/M&E Expert; an Environmental/Agro/Forestry Management Expert; an ICT/GIS/MIS Expert; and a Procurement Expert to provide services in the Project at the S-SRBC headquarters in Kyela, Tanzania.
|The Acting Executive
|25th February, 2020
|10th March, 2020
|Place of duty:
|S-SRBC Offices in Kyela, Tanzania
|Terms of Appointment:
|Four (4) year contractual appointment renewable every year based on performance.
- Functions and Responsibilities
The Procurement Expert functions and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare and update the Procurement Plan in consultation with the Ag. Executive Secretary of SRBC for all goods, works and services to be procured under the Project; The procurement plan will detail contract packages for goods, works and services, estimated cost for each package, procurement or selection methods and tentative processing time of each procurement activity in compliance with the Financing Agreement and the applicable regulations;
- Prepare, review and finalize procurement documents. e.g. REOI, ToR, Invitation for Tenders, RFP, bidding documents, bid and proposal evaluation report etc. for all contracts in accordance with the applicable procurement guidelines of the
AfDB and the Government of Tanzania;
- Prepare procurement documents based on user requirements ensuring that technical specifications of goods are in conformity with the prescribed standards; and assist project while procuring goods, works and Services are following open tendering method through rules and regulations of the country;
- Prepare Public Notices for inviting offers for the procurement of goods, Works and services; and assist in publishing those notices in different print and electronic media – in conformity with the provisions of the AfDB Procurement
Regulations and the Public Procurement Act of Government of United Republic of Tanzania;
- Organize and assist in the opening of bids / proposals and prepare draft minutes;
- Assist Ag. Executive Secretary in organizing all clarification meetings, pre-proposal meetings etc. with prospective bidders/Contractors / consultants and actively participate and prepare draft minutes;
- Act and play role as a mandatory member of the bid / proposal evaluation committee and perform all functions including formulating appropriate evaluation criteria, preparing comprehensive bid/proposal evaluation report, making summary points to clarify the bidders and other members of the committee in conformity with the AfDB Procurement Regulations, the Public Procurement Act and Financing agreement;
- Carrying out all activities related to Contracting including Negotiation, signing, publishing contract award notice and performance of contracts etc.;
- Guide / assist the Ag. Executive Secretary in handling procurements related complaints / grievances;
- The Procurement Expert will lead the procurement activities of the Strengthening Trans boundary Cooperation and Integrated Natural Resource Management Project in the Songwe River Basin and will work closely with the Administrative, Logistics and Procurement Officer of the S-SRBC; and
- Perform any other appropriate/relevant tasks assigned by the Ag. Executive Secretary / competent authority.
Qualifications and Experience:
- At least a Masters degree in Procurement or a relevant field from an internationally recognized institution. Holders of Bachelors degree in Procurement and Business Administration /Management will have an added advantage. Applicants must be registered and approved as Certified Procurement and Supply Professionals by the Board which governs the Procurement and Supplies Professionals of the respective country;
- At least five (5) years general work experience including three (3) years of experience in the field of procurement in a public/international organization where the responsibility substantially covers the procurement of goods, works and services. Experience with AfDB funded projects will be an added advantage;
- Sound understanding of principles underlying good procurement practices, procurement guidelines of international agencies, procurement rules and procedures of the Government of Tanzania; ability to identify and resolve procurement issues; and
- Excellent communication (both oral and written) in English language with interpersonal, computer and strong negotiation skills.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, copies of academic certificates, professional certificates and Curriculum Vitae (not exceeding four pages) with names and contact information of three traceable referees to:
To reach him not later than 10th March, 2020, 17:00 Hours Local time (EAT).
Please mention the title of the position you are applying for in your email or Post.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Go to our Homepage To Get Relevant Information.