Requisition ID: req12636
Job Title: Product Design/Graphic Design Consultant-Tanzania
Sector: Research & Development
Employment Category: Consultant
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 28 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
PlayMatters reimagines childhood for refugees. It will bring play-based learning to 800,000 children across Ethiopia, Uganda and Tanzania. It will redefine education and cultivate a generation of lifelong builders. PlayMatters is inspired by LEGO Foundation’s call to challenge the status quo, to offer children the quality education they dream of. Children are not gaining the skills they need, teachers are under-supported and parents are overwhelmed. The systems built to serve them are failing them. PlayMatters proudly offers something different. It will be delivered by a coalition with a track record of thinking and delivering differently.
The IRC is seeking a product design consultant who will work closely with prototyping teams in Tanzania or Ethiopia to develop two solutions to integrate play-based learning into schools. This project consists of using recently completed qualitative research on the context to understand opportunities and barriers for play-based learning; in addition to collaboratively working with education experts, behavioral scientists and human centered designers to design and test prototypes in refugee and host populations in Tanzania or Ethiopia.
These prototypes will consist of content designed to support behavioral change for educators, caregivers and community members to embed learning through play into the lives of children aged 3-12+ in the spaces in which they live and learn.
The education design consultant will be an integral part of our team and will work collaboratively with PlayMatters prototype teams, leading the following work:
- Product Design: The design consultant will help adapt content with the team such as digital/analog user flows, mockups, service design storyboards, informational design for implementors, short videos or audio, and other assets necessary for each program.
- Workshop Facilitation and Design: The designer will work closely with the PlayMatters prototyping team, and the IRC research and innovation team to co-lead co-design workshops with key stakeholders (remote and/or in person). They will synthesize insights from interviews and design workshops with the team.
- Prototype Creation and Testing: The designer is responsible for connecting the dots between user research, evidence and expert direction from the team, and generating testable prototypes. Examples of prototypes include low-fidelity printouts/illustrations, clickable mockups, sample messages, high fidelity mock-ups of service experience, user journeys, and illustrations to test for understanding.
- Prototype testing: The designer will work with the team to test prototypes with key stakeholders (remote and/or in person where possible).
- Graphic Design: The design consultant will adapt, design and contextualize content with the prototyping team to create final assets that ensure uptake and understanding. This includes creating graphics, illustrations, printed and digital materials, as necessary for each program.
- Final Documentation: The design consultant will be responsible for designing assets (visuals, relevant materials) to input into the final guide and implementation deck for the two programs that explains how to use the final assets to roll out the program.
- Piloting: The designer will co-create instruction guides for using and implementing final assets. They will work with the monitoring and evaluation team to draft questions to be answered during the piloting phase. They will work with the team to adapt the final assets and guides after the pilots based on feedback from the research conducted by the M&E/project team.
- Product design experience of 2-3 years
- Qualitative research/human-centered design research skills of 2-3 years
- Graphic design experience
- Portfolio demonstrating graphic design, design research, and product design projects
- Preferred experience creating educational content, educational services, or educational programs
- Preferred experience working with pre-literate adults, young children, refugee populations, and vulnerable populations
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Design research/qualitative research
- Graphic design
Preferred skills and competencies:
- Video editing
- Audio editing
- WhatsApp/digital skills
- Local language skills relevant to Tanzania is a major plus.
- English (fluent)
Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Experience leading design research and prototyping with end users
- Experience creating user experiences and interactions and user flows
- Able to create client-ready visual design from scratch
- Can create client-ready visual design within an existing system or brand, can extend pre-existing visual system and produce print-ready work
- Can make effective choices of user experience elements, such as buttons, layouts, visual styling, and wayfinding for both in-space or digital experiences
- Exceptional visual design skills to showcase ideas and concepts to non-designers
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills as well as, an overall ability to be clear and concise in all communications
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; proven ability to prioritize and deliver on time.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic, cross-functional global team structure
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite especially adobe illustrator, in-design, photoshop and premiere
- Proficiency using prototyping tools like figma, proto.io, marvel and other digital prototyping applications
Mix of remote and in person work. Applicants must have a home or alternate workspace they can effectively complete their work from during regularly scheduled work hours.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.