The Media Council of Tanzania (MCT) is an independent, voluntary and self regulatory body with the objective of promoting freedom of the media and ensuring the highest professional standards and media accountability in the United Republic of Tanzania,
MCT implements its four-year Programme Strategy (2018 – 2021) that aims at expanding the perimeters of freedom of expression and of the media as well as promoting professionalism and accountability in order to ensure that the Tanzanian media contributes effectively to the country’s development and democratic processes,
As part of implementation of its Strategy, MCT would like to recruit a competent Tanzanian to fill the vacancy of Programme Manager.
This is a Senior Managerial position, Reporting to the Executive Secretary, the Programme Manager shall oversees Programme implementation leading the team in implementing MCT activities of advocacy, mediation and arbitration, media monitoring, and press freedom violation register; as well as projects for specific outputs.
Duties and responsibilities of the employee:
- Oversee and ensure implementation of programme activities of the Council as per Programme Strategy and approved Annual work plans;
- Provide support to the Executive Secretary (ES) in handling complaints brought against media outlets at Secretariat level;
- Assist the Executive Secretary in identifying, developing and maintaining useful networks;
- Assist the Executive Secretary in fundraising for Council activities and sustainability;
- Take lead in Council advocacy activities;
- Ensure Code of Ethics for media professionals is up to date;
- Identify problems and any irregularities in the process of implementing programme activities and advise the ES accordingly;
- Participate in and give quality input to Management Team and Tender Board deliberations;
- Liaise with MCT Zanzibar office to ensure effective and timely implementation of Programme activities on the Isles;
- Supervise and mentor programme officers, other staff, volunteers and interns as may be required;
- Prepare departmental plans and budgets and participate in Council planning, review and budget process;
- Ensure the work of contracted programme consultants, contributors and editors is of high quality and standards;
- Prepare analyses on policies and media laws;
- Provide technical backstopping to Government officials, MPs, MHRs and relevant House Standing Committees on matters related to MCT agenda;
- Liaise with stakeholders in the media sector and with all those involved in the media sector for relevant interventions;
- Oversee usage of NACTE validated standardized journalism curricula and benchmarks for certificate, advanced certificate and diploma levels (NTA levels 4 – 6);
- Oversee preparation and production of annual State of the Media Report;
- a) Write activity reports and keep records of the same.
Key Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent with 8 years experience in journalism, mass communication, Law or relevant social sciences, A relevant Masters degree would be an added advantage.
- In-depth understanding of media self regulation, press freedom and freedom of expression issues;
- Broad knowledge of the Tanzania media sector dynamics;
- Strong managerial and administrative skills;
- Proven experience and competence in advocacy work;
- Ability to lead in a participatory, rolhip-your sleeves manner;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Solid communication skills, both written and oral, in English and Kiswahili, and ability to produce concise reports;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Results oriented;
- Ability to proactively work independently with minimum supervision, and as an effective team member.
MODE OF APPLICATION
To apply, submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) with email address, telephone number, copies of relevant certified certificates/testimonials, and names of three professional referees. Applicants are also required to submit application letter explaining why they should be considered for the job through the address below:
Human Resources and Administration Manager,
Media Council of Tanzania,
PO Box 10160,
Please send your application through, Postal or [email protected] or hand deliveries at MCT offices located in Mwenge, along Coca Cola Road, Josam House, Block B, First Floor, Suite no. B12,
Closing date is February 28,2019.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
MCT is an equal opportunity employer therefore all people are encouraged to apply.