Project title: Contribution of Sustainable Fisheries to the Blue Economy of the Eastern Africa, Southern Africa and the Indian
Ocean Region – E€OFISH Programme
Job Title : Project Accounts Assistant
Job Ref: LVFO/ E€OFISH /HR/2020/02
EAC Salary Grade G5
Reports to: Head of Finance LVFO
Duty station: Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization Secretariat Plot 7B/E Bell Avenue, Jinja, Uganda
The Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) is a specialized institution of the East African Community (EAC) whose mandate is to coordinate the management and development of fisheries and aquaculture resources in the EAC region.
Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO) has received a grant from the European Union (EU) to implement the -Contribution of Sustainable Fisheries to the Blue Economy of the Eastern Africa, Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean Region – E€OFISH programme. The overall objective is to enhance equitable economic growth by promoting sustainable fisheries in the East African-South African-Indian Ocean (EASA-IO) region. The specific objective is to support sustainable management and development of fisheries, while addressing climate change resilience and enhancing marine biodiversity. The programme purpose is to support the implementation of fisheries management interventions on Lake Victoria. It is agaist this background that LVFO Secretariat is recruiting a Project Accounts Assistant to support implementation of the programme.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Provide support in coordinating budgeting, payment and accounting services:
- Ensure compliance with financial regulations and rules. Serve as principal advocate for prudent, consistent and accountable management of the Project financial resources and assets.
- Ensure that the financial procedures and practices implemented, conform to EU and/or EAC Financial Regulations and directives.
- Prepare all Project financial statements in a timely manner.
Provide support in developing the draft program budget:
- Participate in the budget development process in liaison with the relevant desk officers in organization of program work plans for financial review.
- Ensure that budgetary estimates are prepared in accordance with Project requirements, and planned activities implemented in time and within the approved allocated budget lines.
- Provide information, analyses, explanations, and documentation in response to requests on budgetary matters from the relevant stakeholders
- Ensure timely budget preparation, implementation and reporting.
Serve as an advisor on budgetary and financial matters:
- Advise the Supervisor on the implementation of the approved budget and execute decisions taken regarding allocation and allotment of appropriations.
- Report on the state of the Project finances to the Head of Finance for deliberations and decision-making on programme budgeting, finance and accounts.
- Develop proposals for budgetary transfers, supplementary appropriations and management of surpluses.
- Ensure appropriate financial reports, statements and other accountability reports are prepared in a timely manner, for submission to the Auditors.
2. Payment and Accounting services
Ensure accurate maintenance and updating of income and expenditure accounts for the Project:
- Ensure the proper receipt, custody and disbursement of funds and oversee the banking and currency arrangements.
- Manage the payments system and Records Register
- Monitors and follows up on outstanding receivables and liabilities of the project both in the project journal and for transactions done through the office journal and ensures timely costly booking.
- Documents and maintains complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
- Manage the cash flow and prepares cash flow forecasts in accordance with EU rules and regulations.
- Reconciliation of sub ledgers in the system in a timely manner to identify any irregularities, mis-postings and raise correction journals for the Head of Finance’s certification
- Prepare funds requisitions in a timely manner.
- Ensure that the Trial Balance is balancing at any given time
- Ensure access to timely, accurate and useful information with regard to the financial status of the project.
- Report to the supervisor on budget/programme performance or substantive issues, as appropriate, particularly those presented in annual or triennial reports.
- Ensure that the reports are prepared in timely manner.
- Manage foreign currency exchange gain/loss.
- Actively participates in project selection and valuation, audit and compliance reviews together with the Supervisor.
- Formulate responses to internal and external auditors.
- Prepare periodical reports of the project
- Preparation of a funds requisition to the donor
- Perform other related duties, as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
A University degree (or academic equivalent) with specialization in accounting, financial management, business administration or a related field. Professional accounting qualification (CPA, ACCA or equivalent).
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, financial management, business administration, or a related field.
- Experience with international accounting systems and financial operations management.
- Experience with corporate performance management in the public or private sector.
- Experience in managing programmes/projects within an international or regional organization, national government, or other public or private organization.
- Experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
- Managing Performance
- Ability to work under minimum supervision
- Organization skills
- Communication skills
Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a competency-based interview and any other assessments deemed necessary.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognised by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective countries. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
Relevant Working Experience
Relevant working experience in this regard refers to post education work experience. Internship, training, apprenticeship and clerkship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The Contract period is for four year (4) years, with a six (6) months’ probation, to be confirmed upon satisfactory performance. The above is a non-established position within the LVFO‘s organization structure
An Indicative basic salary of EUR19,836.48 (G5 salary scale equivalent) per annum, plus other related entitlements e.g. a Housing allowance of EUR 4,173.96 (per annum), and a Transport allowance of EUR 2,165.16 (per annum)
In addition, this post offers attractive fringe benefits including an installation allowance of EUR 521.74 paid once, plus gratuity paid monthly, a personal medical Insurance cover, and personal accident insurance cover.
Eligibility is restricted to qualified candidates from EAC/LVFO Partner States (The Republics of Burundi, Kenya, Uganda and the United Republic of Tanzania).
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above-mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and a copy of National Identity Card, or Passport.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 31st January 2020 at 17:00hrs local time.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
- LVFO Staff Rules and Regulations precludes consideration of applicants above fifty-five (55) years of age
- Please note that LVFO does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
- All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
For more information and job application details, please visit the LVFO website www.lvfo.org under the link ‘‘Opportunities‘‘
The Executive Secretary Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO)
Busoga Square Plot No. 7B/E Bell Avenue
P. O. Box 1625, Jinja – Uganda
Email: [email protected]
Tel: +256 434 125000