The Christian Social Services Commission (CSSC) is an ecumenical body established in 1992 by the Christian Council of Tanzania and the Tanzania Episcopal Conference, to coordinate and facilitate the delivery of social services (health and education) by the member churches in Tanzania. For 28 years, CSSC has been serving and coordinate a network of more than 900 church-owned health education facilities, including 105 large hospitals at Zonal, Regional and District/Council levels. In addition, CSSC coordinates a network of more than 1,000 church owned education facilities. Majority of these church health and education facilities are located in remote and rural areas where 70% of the Tanzanian population reside in those areas.
CSSC has been awarded a 5-years Grant by U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) to implement “Pamoja Tuwekeze Afya” – (PATA) Activity. The award intends to establish self-reliant health facilities (HFs) and improve health service delivery
by the CSSC network of church based HFs in meeting the health needs of the target population. Through cost-effective and innovative solutions, the PATA Activity will strengthen the CSSC’s capacity to deliver quality services in Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent health (RMNCAH), HIV/TB services and other health related areas. The PATA Activity has got two major components;
Component one: Create a network of financially and managerially sustainable HFs and a self-reliant Medical and commodity supply chain Company and Component Two: Improve staff skills and retention at HFs and improve their capacity to provide a continuum of quality care of RMNCAH and HIV/TB services.
In view of the above, CSSC is hereby seeking applications from highly qualified, well experienced, competent and motivated persons to fill-in the following vacant positions.
Title: Project Finance Officer-1 Post
Report to: Chief Accountant
Location: Dar es salaam
The Project Finance Officer reports to Chief Accountant. S/he will be responsible for financial aspects of the project, including budget development and monitoring, prime award monitoring and compliance. The Project Finance Officer will strengthen and maintain sound financial management practices, and ensure the project’s compliance with USG, USAID and CSSC procedures, rules and regulations. S/he will mainly be responsible to oversee the financial capacity of the program; overall coordination, leading and supervision of their functions in the finance department. S/he will also be responsible in coordinating program audit exercise, addressing audit findings and recommendations. The position will be based in Dar es salaam, Tanzania.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze, control and maintain financial records for the PATA Activity
- Proper review of supporting documents before payment to vendors, checking of all invoices for accuracy, totals as well as calculations, cancellations/stamping of all vouchers;
- Reviewing Bank reconciliations and timely clearing of reconciling items.
- Making sure monthly budget comparison reports (BCR) are prepared and completed on time; advice Chief accountant/project manager on budget reallocations.
- Ensure timely posting of retirements; received retirements are reviewed, reviewing feedback forms for each retirement, and that the signed feedback forms are shared with imprest holders / chief accountant. Prepare financial report (FFR/SF 425) are submitted to USAID as per 2 CFR 200.327)
- Must make sure report on foreign taxes ae properly reported as per USAID requirements;
- Ensure reconciliations in General ledger and subsidiary ledgers are conducted and immediate action is taken on any discrepancies;
- Making sure imprest are not issued for those who have not retired previous imprest.
- Monitor bank accounts and keep track of balances to ensure that there are sufficient funds; manage cash flows for all accounts, and advise Chief Accountant on fund flows; prepare advance requests for replenishment as required;
- Prepare annual implementation budget; liaising with programme unit, She/ He must advise program manager on developing budgets in relation to activities to be undertaken in a quarterly/semiannual and annually;
- Take a lead in budget preparations during proposal writing, preparation of budget and budget justifications;
- Making sure the PATA Activity annual budget are incorporated into CSSC annual budget correctly and inserted into the computerized accounting system (Navision Accounting system);
- Prepare monthly payroll timely and accurately; ensure that proper charging codes are used, and deductions are made accurately for each staff (updated compliance with all laws); ensure that only staff with contracts are included in payroll, proper staff accounts are used, and all payroll are approved prior to cheques processing;
- Ensure that all supporting documents for the PATA Activity are kept safe at all times during program implementation and all records are handed over for safe keeping after the end of the project.
- Update the PATA Activity asset register: ensure that all procured assets are included in assets register, and that proper coding is used for procured assets; Ensure that depreciations are well recorded in the system and shared with the Chief Accountant for inclusion in CSSC’s overall asset register.
- Liaise with the Project Manager and other officers on project implementation and assist the project officers on all financial issues;
- Facilitate training to PATA team and CSSSC-staff on USAID rules and regulations, making sure updated changes on guidelines are understood and applicable by all users intended and reflected into our systems;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting and Finance, CPA as minimum qualifications.
- MSc in Accounting and Finance will be added advantage.
Experiences and Skills
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Financial Management
- Deep understanding and knowledge on USG grants management, rules and regulations.
- Additional experience in managing grants supported by other donors will also be preferred
- Familiar with CSSC finance policies and procedures, or demonstrated ability to assimilate new policies and procedures effectively
- Proficiency in diversity of accounting software packages, Q & A and Microsoft Office applications (Ms Word, Ms Excel, Ms PowerPoint, and Outlook, Navision accounting system) strongly preferred.
- Strong management and supervisory skills; Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor staff.
- Extremely detail oriented and organized
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Mode of Application
Interested candidates are to submit their motivation letter and copy of the latest CV in one document indicating their preferred work station. The subject line of your job application email should indicate the position that you are applying for; your CV must include the contact information (email addresses and telephone numbers) of three work-related traceable referees.
All correspondence MUST reach CSSC before 1600hrs November 27th 2020 and channeled through the following email address: [email protected]
- Any application sent later than the mentioned date and time will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted; if you are not contacted within two weeks after the deadline of this advert, consider yourself unsuccessful.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.