HELVETAS – Tanzania, Organic Cotton project promotes an approach to achieve building a regenerative production landscape in the Singida and Simiyu regions in Tanzania with an agricultural production ecosystem that conserves natural resources and builds climate resilient communities whilst enabling businesses to source responsibly.
The main responsibilities of the Silviculture–Biodiversity Specialist focus on community conservation of the fauna and flora, as well as the soil and water resources in the project areas in the Singida and Simiyu regions.
- Implementation of awareness raising and capacity building of communities in ecosystem restoration and conservation planning.
- Support community initiatives focused on ecosystem restoration and conservation
- Coordinate and facilitate interventions that link biodiversity corridors/ecosystems for flora and fauna conservation.
- Monitoring and evaluation of ecosystem-related intervention in close collaboration with the M&E Officer and with the local authorities.
S/he works closely with the team in Singida on project strategies and directions and on monitoring and learning activities, and, in close collaboration with different implementing public and private partners.
- BSc or MSc in conservation forestry, ecosystems, environmental and natural resources sciences, or other related relevant fields.
Further training or specific skills
- Experience in working with indigenous trees especially Acacia/Vachellia/Terminalia/ Ficus
- Experience in biodiversity/ecosystem assessment
- Knowledge and experience in working with communities on ecosystem conservation (e.g. VLFR, CBNRM)
- Creative and practical problem-solving skills
- Experience in working with both public and private sector actors
- Ability to write a wide range of (own) reports.
- Minimum 5 years of professional working experience in the areas of restoration of nature and forests
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English and Kiswahili
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Outlook)
- Knowledge and experience of raising awareness in communities on ecosystem conservation
- Experience in village land use planning
- Working experience at the community level
- Experience in spatial data management (e.g. ArcGis)
- Experience in using PowerBI
How to apply:
Interested, qualified applicants send their pdf CV with a maximum of 4 pages and pdf of cover letter maximum of 1 page to [email protected] with the title “SILVICULTURE / BIODIVERSITY SPECIALIST” as the subject email by 6th November 2022 at 5:00 PM.