Requisition ID: req8513
Job Title: Regional Field Coordinator
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: Yes
Location: Kasulu, Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 30 countries and in 25 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
This role will work in Tanzania, responsible for the oversight of operations and providing programme coordination across Kigoma Region. The IRC has been present in Tanzania for over twenty five years working with refugees and Tanzanian communities. Our work spans health, education and protection, with refugees and the Tanzanian population.
With the support of over two hundred staff and over 2,000 volunteers, IRC has an ambitious strategy to achieve great impact through the work we do. Working with a range of partners we’re aiming for sustainable, durable solutions across all sectors of our work.
We have a positive, capable and supportive team, committed to working together to achieve the best possible results.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Field Coordinator is the lead representative of IRC in Kigoma Region, ensuring that IRC’s work and activities are well delivered and well represented internally and externally.
The FC is directly responsible for all operational issues in the region, including oversight of Human Resources, Administration, Supply Chain, Finance and Grant Management in Partnership with technical leads at national level.
He/she will also play a key role in supporting, coordinating and supervising the implementation of the IRC programs for Kasulu Field Office and Kibondo sub office. Working closely with technical coordinators, the FC will provide dotted line supervision, promote cross-sector integration and support the implementation of IRC’s overarching Strategy Action Plan in Tanzania. The FC will engage closely with the Deputy Director Programs, based in Dar to provide field level input in strategy and cross-sectoral programme issues.
The FC for Kigoma will supervise activities in other offices (currently Kibondo) with line management of the Deputy Field Coordinator for Kibondo, in partnership with the CD (dotted line)
The FC will oversee day to day management of Staff Safety and security during all phases of field operations.
The FC will report to the Country Director
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Field Operational Leadership
Representation / Communications
- Represent IRC in dealings with local authorities (administrative, sectoral and security officials), fellow NGOs and other stakeholders.
- Represent IRC at Kasulu and Kibondo field office level in advocacy
- Coordinate IRC program activities with relevant officials and other humanitarian agencies.
- Liaise closely with IRC’s partner agencies in Kigoma region, both international and national NGOs and take leadership in hosting external visitors including donors.
- Facilitate Camps based meetings with Refugee leaders, Camp commandants, Sector based refugee incentive groups and representatives of different refuge groups.
- Build, maintain and lead an enthusiastic, trusted and ambitious team that is able to respond to the challenges of our work in the region.
- Ensure that all performance evaluations for staff are conducted and review evaluations to ensure quality and consistency
- Support in Identifying training needs for program support staff members and make appropriate recommendations to the Deputy Director- Programs, and CD and to technical leads at Dar level
- Ensure that administrative matters of the field office are carried out in accordance with IRC HR and administration policies
- Ensure that all IRC staff at the Field level are working in compliance with the IRC WAY and other relevant policies pertaining to staff conduct.
- Facilitate staff welfare, duty of care and communication between staff in the region and IRC management through tailored messages; period meetings and team building initiatives.
- Oversee the supply chain department and ensure effective support operations by IRC Kigoma Offices supply chain staff, including procurement (both local and through Dar Es Salaam), stock management, asset management, vehicle operations, equipment maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment)
- Ensure compliance with IRC and donor supply chain policies
- Oversee the financial management of field office operations by the Program Managers, and the Finance staff, including cash management, issuing and tracking advances, ensuring complete and correct use of all finance forms; timely notice to Dar Es Salaam of cash transfer needs
- Ensure compliance with IRC and donor finance policies
- Serve as IRC’s lead for security in Kigoma Region. Monitor the security situation in the region and ensure the SMT and all staff are continually updated and informed of developments with implications for staff safety and for program implementation
- Working with the national security focal point, oversee revision of the IRC Tanzania Security Manual as it pertains in Kigoma and its environs.
- Take leadership for field level response to security incidents including field level staff evacuations should they be required.
- Lead operational teams in anticipating, identifying and mitigating risks in liaison with Senior Managers and in consultation with Country Director.
- To serve as the national emergency focal point, working with a core steering group that includes CD, DDP and Supply Chain Coordinator to develop emergency preparedness plans
- To act as the primary focal point at the time of a new emergency intervention and facilitate implementation of EPP workplan, monitor and report on hazard indicators and facilitate capacity building of Roster team on emergency.
Work closely with the national Deputy Director of Programmes and technical and programme coordinators to support and coordinate the following areas:
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of grants by staff with specific focus to the program support sections of each respective grant
- Oversee the development of detailed project work plans for all programs and program support functions
- Oversee all budget expenditures in the IRC Kasulu and Kibondo Field site operation and ensure they are allowable and allocable according to IRC and donor regulations.
- Ensure accurate budget spending and tracking by program managers and program support functions
- Lead the field team in the Review of Monthly Budget vs. Actual reports with program staff, make recommendations on the basis of these and ensure that appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion.
New Program Development
- Identify new program possibilities in collaboration with field- and Dar Es –Salaam based staff, specifically the Country Director, Deputy Director Programs, Grants Coordinator and the Technical Coordinators
- Provide field input into the development of new proposals by program staff as required
- Oversee budget development at field level
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Ensure appropriate M&E activities are carried out regularly by program staff in all sectors (data collection & analysis, monitoring of project progress against established work plans, monitoring of established indicators and utilization of results to inform program (re-)design).
- Support in Identifying gaps in M&E systems and make recommendations for improvements
- Support the Deputy Director- Programs with a focus on field integration of program activities to create coherent, quality and complimentary programming; Specific focus to ensure strong integration of program support functions with direct program related activities
- Participate in workshops at field level to establish and monitor annual operating plans for the strategic plan
- Ensure that all project activities are consistent with established best practices and IRC’s Program Framework principles.
- Actively work with various sectors in the implementation of IRC’s Strategic Action Plan (SAP) and support the country Director and strategy ambassadors in rolling out strategy 20XX initiatives at the field level.
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Strategic Leadership in effective program design and implementation, grant compliance
- Effective representation of the IRC in key forums (GoT, Partners, stake holder, donor) articulating IRC programming, country strategies and seeking to strengthen coordination/partnerships.
- Optimal and effective resource utilization in the overall IRC operations through implementation approaches in both programming and operations
- Contribute towards development of the IRC policies, procedures and ensure adherence and compliance by all Kasulu, Kigoma and Kibondo Office staff
WORK ENVIRONMENT/KEY RELATIONSHIPS:
The position is based in Kasulu, a district town in Kigoma Region. The town is popular with staff, with sufficient shops, local restaurants, and small hotels. It has a pleasant climate and friendly population. It is an hour from the regional capital, Kigoma with more extensive facilities and a two hour flight from Dar es Salaam, where IRC’s head office is located.
The role, will travel frequently within Kigoma region and regularly elsewhere in Tanzania, particularly to Dar es Salaam. Occasional international travel will also be expected.
Key working relationships include: Country Director and Country Management Colleagues, Local and HQ Finance teams. The role will be the key representative for IRC in the region with frequent national and international visitors including high level government, donor and development officials.
- Bachelor’s degree in international or development studies or other relevant subject. Master’s degree desirable.
- Extensive experience working in development or humanitarian response, including at least five years of experience living and working in the relevant field in developing and transitioning countries. Experience in East Africa, including Tanzania a significant advantage.
- Experience of working in complex emergency settings implementing and managing Primary Health, GBV, programs in emergency or refugee settings.
- Experience managing international donor funding- eg. UN, Us Government, EU and DFID
- Strong budget management experience with sound financial management
- Good written and verbal skills in the English language; Kiswahili language skills highly desirable.
- Must be comfortable in being a proactive member of the senior management team. Must have a proven track-record of proactively identifying and communicating potential problems and proposing solutions
- Must be able to function effectively in a complex work environment, setting appropriate priorities and manage competing priorities and pressure
- Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support
- Must have excellent interpersonal communication skills and professional patience and be able to interact, partner and thrive in a diverse environment
- An excellent leader and manager of people; committed to staff development and effective at facilitation
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage large amounts of information and prioritize work
- Good working knowledge of computer software: MS Word, Excel & email applications required
- Strong sense of personal integrity.
- Willingness to live and productively work in insecure, unstable and/or harsh environments
- Highly flexible and willing to adapt to changing circumstances.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other protected characteristic.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
- Total Jobs 142 Jobs
- Location Dar es Salaam