Job #: req19717
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Research & Quantitative Analysis
Term Duration: 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English (Essential), French (Desirable), Portuguese (Desirable)
Closing Date: 11/14/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org
The 25 Executive Directors of the World Bank Group (WBG Board), assisted by their Alternates, Senior Advisors, Advisors, and Administrative staff, represent the interests of the 189-member countries who nominated or elected them. They also ensure the oversight of the general operations of the Bank Group and the group’s results on the ground. The institutions under their purview are: The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank Group is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. The Board, working closely with Management, approves policies, financial commitments, and knowledge products that ensure the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge results for its clients in developing countries.
The WBG Board of Executive Directors considers and decides on the proposals made by the President of the WBG as they relate to IBRD loans and guarantees, IDA credits and grants, IFC investments, and MIGA guarantees; and endorse the strategies and policies that impact the World Bank’s general operations. Executive Directors are also responsible for conveying the interests and concerns of their Constituency members to the Board and the Bank’s management, as well as the interests and concerns of the Bank to their Constituency.
The Office of the Executive Director (ED) for Botswana, Burundi, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gambia (The), Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe constituency (EDS14) is looking for a Research Analyst to assist the Office of the Executive Director in analytical duties. Please see below for further details.
In addition to the Executive Director, the office consists of an Alternate Executive Director, Senior Advisors, Advisors, and three other administrative support staff.
The successful candidate will report to the Executive Director and work in Washington, DC.
This position is for a 2-year Term. Any staff on an open-ended appointment who is selected is strongly advised to obtain a re-entry guarantee from his/her releasing unit to enable return to open-ended status. An open-ended staff who does not have a re-entry to his/her releasing unit acknowledges that by applying to this position, s/he is entering a Term position if selected and will not be able to maintain his/her open-ended status in the ED office.
The staff will be subject to a performance review per the WBG annual performance review processes.
Roles & Responsibility:
The main responsibilities of the successful candidate will be to collect and analyze data to allow constituency countries to fully contribute to the elaboration of strategies and programs financed and sponsored by the World Bank Group.
The Analyst will assist the Executive Director in managing interactions across the WBG’s entities, the Regional and Sectoral VPUs, and other EDs, as well as with constituency members and external partners, to identify relevant sources of information that allow the performance of relevant, data-driven analysis and ensures countries to proactively contribute to the elaboration of projects and programs. The work includes but is not limited to research on the economic situation of various countries, update of economic and development indicators, and maintenance of the dashboards to assist the ED in deploying his/her strategic plan to increase financing and advisory services and exploit the MFD (Maximizing Finance for Development) approach to benefit the economies of the countries in the ED’s constituency.
Working with the Executive Director, Alternate Executive Director (AED), Senior Advisors, Advisors, and Assistants on a range of tasks, including:
• Identify, gather, and analyze data to produce high-quality reports and other outputs that meet the needs of the Office.
• Coordinate the preparation of periodic analyses and information reports for constituency authorities and management as assigned by the ED or AED.
• Support the Office in maintaining the official website and conducting the research to support Office activities and presentations.
• Participate in meetings and events, and prepare materials as assigned by the ED or AED.
• Assist in preparing briefing materials, presentations, and talking points for the ED in his interactions with the countries, the Executive Board, and various partners.
• Provide high-quality support to the Executive Director/Alternate Executive Director and Senior Advisors/Advisors in a multicultural environment.
• Liaise with appropriate contacts in the capitals of the constituency to gather and manage information, indicators and development strategies to build and regularly update a dashboard for each country to help implement the office strategy.
• Handle ad hoc duties assigned by the ED and AED.
• Must have a Master’s degree (e.g., in Economics, Finance, Banking, Business Administration, or related discipline) and a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience.
• Experience working in or on issues related to the Sub-Saharan Africa Region.
• Ability to conduct research, analyze, and propose solutions to support strategic goals.
• Knowledge and understanding of the functions and operations of the WBG.
• Highly skilled in information technology and digital platforms. Skills in graphic design are an added advantage.
• Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to summarize issues into oral and written briefs.
• Must have attention to detail and follow-through.
• Strong team player with the ability to work independently and in a diverse team.
• Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment and strong interpersonal skills. Proficiency in French and/or Portuguese could be an added advantage.
• Ability to independently manage multiple assignments with minimal supervision, prioritizing and coordinating team members under tight deadlines.
• Willingness to accept personal ownership and accountability for meeting deadlines and achieving results.
• Awareness of relevant internal and external factors and their impact on the constituency countries.
• Willingness to work long hours and availability to travel when needed.
• Technology and systems knowledge – Has advanced proficiency in the latest technology relevant to assigned responsibilities. Demonstrates initiative in learning and supporting the implementation of emerging technology and systems pertinent to the effective work of the unit.
• Project and task management – Able to organize, coordinate, monitor, and implement tasks and projects. Demonstrates ownership and accountability for results. Demonstrates innovation and creativity in promoting effectiveness.
• Institutional policies, processes, and procedures – Demonstrates in-depth, and up-to-date knowledge of administrative and policy guidelines, practices, products, and services in the area of assigned functional responsibility; can guide others in complex situations.
• Versatility and adaptability – Able to anticipate, facilitate and catalyze change in the business environment and accurately assess the need for new skills and knowledge. Demonstrates continued learning attitude, supporting others in their learning and change management efforts.
• Lead and Innovate – Brings new and different insights.
• Deliver Results for Clients – Contributes to the delivery of results for clients on complex issues
• Collaborate Within Teams and Across Boundaries – Collaborates within teams and across boundaries.
• Create, Apply and Share Knowledge – Actively contributes to and readily applies WBG’s body of knowledge for internal and external client solutions.
• Make Smart Decisions – Leverages available data and makes timely decisions.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.