|Position:||Research Officer (Regulatory support) (1 post)|
|Reports to:||Project leader (PL)|
|Apply by:||March 15, 2020|
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
The Interventions and Clinical Trials Department conduct trials on drugs, diagnostics and vaccines for malaria, tuberculosis, and HIV. Also pioneers multiple innovative ways to assess vaccine candidates through malaria challenge studies with infectious sporozoites. It also providing technical support in other countries to start and implementing clinical trials.
The Research officer will support Project Manager and the research team in managing documents, contracts and supplies, and provide input regarding legal and regulatory issues that governs the conduct of the clinical trial in Tanzania. The research officer will work very closely with the Project Manager and other Administrators to ensure efficient implementation of the projects. To facilitate PIs interest in conducting Controlled Human Infection Studies, Research officer will work with IHI community liaison officers, ethical and regulatory authorities to assess the need to develop ethical and regulatory framework that will inform the review of such protocols in the future.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist PM in development and submission of study documents and reports to IRB and Regulatory authorities.
- Assist PM and PI to review project details, including protocols, study reports and study budgets, for planned studies.
- Support study team members with contract development and review, and liaising with IHI Grants and Contracts department to facilitate legal reviews and creation of legal study required documents (MTA, DTA, CTA etc.).
- Support PM in maintaining study compliance with Institutional Review Board, International and local regulations.
- Work with community liaison officers, Ethical and Regulatory authorities to assess the need of developing ethical and regulatory framework for Controlled Human Infection studies.
- Assist PM in tracking, managing and coordinating study supplies in liaison with the administrators and laboratory team.
- Enters protocol specific data into required IRB and regulatory systems.
- Assists research team members in assessing and optimizing project workflows.
Qualification and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a science with combination of experience in administrative activities or Bachelor’s degree in administrative studies with experience in health research, preferably clinical trials.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to work in a clinical or research environment. Demonstrated ability to understand medical terminology.
- Proven ability to multi-task, maintain confidentiality and remain focused in a fast-paced environment. Proven ability to be meticulous with details.
- Demonstrated impeccable interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team and independently. Demonstrated professional appearance and manner as well as an excellent attendance record.
- Demonstrated advanced computer skills with Excel and Word.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and written.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to a successful candidate as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
The deadline for this application is 1700hrs on March 15, 2020. All e-mail application subject lines should read: Research Officer – Regulatory Support.
Please, note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P. o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam
Email: [email protected]