JOB VACANCY : Resource Mobilization Officer
The Eastern Arc Mountains Conservation Endowment Fund (EAMCEF) is a Trust Fund that was established as a mechanism to provide sustainable financing for effective conservation of biological resources in the Eastern Arc Mountains of Tanzania. The Eastern Arc Mountains Conservation Endowment Fund was initially conceived as a joint initiative of the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania, the founder members of the Board of Trustees, the World Bank and the Global Environment Facility (GEF). The Fund aims at providing long- term and reliable funding support to conservation activities related to the promotion of biological richness and diversity, improvement of ecological functions and sustainable use of natural resources in priority areas of the Eastern Arc Mountains (EAMs). The Eastern Arc Mountains ecosystem forms a major portion of the Eastern Afromontane Region which is recognized globally as one of the 34 biodiversity hotspots characterized by high concentrations of endemic species now under serious threat. Major mountain blocks of the Eastern Arc spread over fifteen districts in five regions of Tanzania namely, Tanga (East and West Usambara and Nguu Mountains), Kilimanjaro (South and North Pare Mountains), Morogoro(Udzungwa, Ukaguru, Nguru, Rubeho, Malundwe, Mahenge and Uluguru Mountains), Iringa (Udzungwa Mountains) and Dodoma (Rubeho Mountains). Governed by a multi-sectoral Board of Trustees, the Fund was officially registered in Tanzania in June 2001 under the Trustees’ Incorporation Act (Cap. 318 R.E 2002) and it operates as an independent not-for-profit Conservation Finance Trust. Headed by the Executive Director and based in Morogoro Municipality, the Endowment Fund Secretariat is charged with the running of the day-to-day operations and functions of the Trust.
The Eastern Arc Mountains forests are under considerable pressure due to various human activities as a result of increased population. Threats leading to biodiversity loss include expansion of human settlements, shifting cultivation, forest fires, extraction of wood for commercial and domestic uses, gold mining, dry season grazing, extraction of non-wood forest products including honey, fruits, medicines, natural ropes, resins, mushrooms and game hunting. Whereas requirements for financial resources necessary for effective conservation of the Eastern Arc Mountains are quite enormous, the financial position of EAMCEF is currently very modest. Thus, EAMCEF needs to mobilize more resources from all possible sources so as to increase its capital base as well as enhance its capacity to finance its operations and programme activities.
In order for the resource mobilization efforts to be plausibly effective, aggressive fundraising, promotion and marketing, engagement and visibility activities needs to be concurrently undertaken. This will be possible only if the now vacant position will be filled by a right candidate. EAMCEF is thus seeking for a suitably qualified and expertly competent Tanzanian to fill in the vacant position of Resource Mobilization Officer (RMO). The successful RMO will be based at the EAMCEF Head Office in Morogoro Municipality and will be expected to spend ample time traveling for fundraising and resource mobilization, visibility and engagement as well as promotion and marketing activities and operations of the EAMCEF.
- Proven ability in excellent writing and speaking both English and Kiswahili Languages.
- The position is equally available for both female and male Tanzanian applicants; female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Working experience in relevant fields of not less than five years with reputable projects/programmes/organizations.
Terms and Conditions of Employment
A Contract of two years will be issued to the successful candidate upon satisfactory performance during the probationary period of the first three months. Depending on the ability to perform the assigned duties, the Contract may be renewed at the end of the second year. An attractive remuneration package will be offered to the selected candidate commensurate with professional qualifications and working experience.
DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting and answerable to the Executive Director, the successful Resource Mobilization Officer (RMO) cum Marketing and Engagement Officer (MEO) will be in-charge of and play a leading role in all resource mobilization, fundraising, marketing, promotion, engagement and visibility operations and activities of the EAMCEF. Her/His principal duties and responsibilities will include but be not limited to the following:
- Effectively playing the dual role of a Resource Mobilization Officer (RMO) & Marketing and Engagement 0fficer(ME0)of the EAMCEF.
- Developing and implementing effective promotion, engagement, public relations and marketing strategies for awareness creation and attracting more support from all possible sources.
- Aggressively increasing the visibility of the EAMCEF accomplishments and the EAMCEF in general through production and dissemination of communication materials fit for social media (Website, Twitter, You-Tube, Facebook, Instagram, etc) and other powerful forums and effective platforms.
- On an ongoing basis, review and provide professional advise for improvement of the EAMCEF website so developed and managed as a tool for marketing and resource mobilization purposes.
- Actively assisting in collection, processing, storage and dissemination of useful information about the EAMCE and its endevours as well as the Eastern Arc Mountains in general.
- Effectively assisting, supporting, back-stopping and working closely with the Programme Officer (Planning, Coordination and Information
- Management), Field Projects Officers and the Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant in planning and undertaking all activities and functions related to monitoring, evaluation, accountability, learning and reporting as appropriate.
- Proactively building and maintaining the necessary confidence and trust by donors and inculcate into them a culture of giving more to the EAMCEF again and again.
- Effectively collaborating and working closely with the Programme Officer (Planning, Coordination and Information Management) and the Planning and Communication Assistant in planning and executing all activities and functions related to planning, reporting, communication, visibility and engagement aspects and issues as appropriate.
- Assisting, providing back-up support and appropriately gap-filling in the functions of the Programme Officer (Planning, Coordination and Information Management)as it may be required from time to time.
- Assisting in timely planning, budgeting and progress reporting for all programme activities.
- Effectively participating in developing, updating and operationalizing the Strategic Plan, Fundraising and Resource Mobilization Strategy, Business Plan, Communication Strategy, Engagement Plan and Promotion and Marketing Strategy documents of the EAMCEF.
- Effectively improving the fundraising, resource mobilization and organizational capacity of the EAMCEF and proactively creating conditions necessary for philanthropy.
- Undertaking marketing, fundraising and resource mobilization activities for the EAMCEF targetting potential supporters and other EAMs stakeholders.
- Making effective research on existing and potential future donors (donor mapping), designing and facilitating the implementation of appropriate approach mechanisms.
- Setting-up and effectively operationalizing plausible fundraising strategies to raise the required funds from traditional and new and untapped sources.
- Effectively writing fundraising proposals that are plausible and appealing to a variety of donors and pursuing the strategy as one of the principal means of soliciting funds from potential sources.
- Raising and attracting funding for the EAMCEF in real amounts commensurate to the EAMCEF targets of increasing its endowment and meeting its operational and programmatic obligations.
- Assisting and advising the Executive Director in matters pertaining to management, technical and professional aspects and issues as appropriate.
- Doing any other relevant activity or assignment as it may be directed by the Executive Directorfrom time to time.
- Possession of both first and second degrees from recognized and reputable higher learning institutions in the fields of marketing, economic development, planning, business administration in marketing, economics, natural resources management, climate change management or other relevant fields.
- Formal training in fundraising and resource mobilization, promotion and marketing, engagement and visibility aspects is essential.
- Good interpersonal skills, practical experience and strong background in climate change financing, resource mobilization, fundraising, advocacy, lobbying, networking, marketing, promotion, engagement and visibility endevours and aspects.
- Strong background in donor research/mapping and successful track record in attracting and raising funds is necessary.
- Excellent expertise and demonstrable capability in searching for opportunities and developing fundable project proposals is a pre-requisite.
- Familiarity with the Eastern Arc Mountains and background in environmental conservation and natural resource management, strategic and business planning is desirable.
- Demonstrated belief and experience in exploring new opportunities, establishing and maintaining partnerships and keeping track on unfolding social, economic and political events.
- Excellent knowledge and proven ability in working with computers and a variety of computer programmes especially Microsoft Office Applications (e.g. MS Word, Excel, E-Mail, Internet, Power Point, Access, etc) and establishment and management of databases.
- Ability to work under pressure and for extended hours including working on week – ends and holidays as it may be required from time to time.
- Obedient, respectful, honest, trustful, fast learner, smart and socially active.
- Mature, energetic, hardworking, versatile and self-motivated with demonstrable stability in employment history.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or under minimum supervision, effectively supervise and lead others.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Seriously committed and highly qualified professionals should lodge their well written applications to the undersigned not later than 10th November, 2022. Application letters with detailed CVs, copies of relevant certificates, testimonials and names of three easily contactable referees should be timely made. Only shortlisted applicants will be called for one or more interviews within two months from the application deadline.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Executive Director
Eastern Arc Mountains Conservation Endowment Fund (EAMCEF) Plot No. 348, Forest Hill Area,
Kingalu Road, P.O. Box 6053
Telephone: +255(0)23 2934274
Cellphone: +255(0)755 330 558
Email: [email protected]