Seeking Hard-Working, Dedicated Problem-Solver Senior Engineer Field Manager in Tanzania Innovation: Africa
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa. We use solar energy to pump clean water and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. iA has completed over 600 solar, water, and agricultural projects, providing light, clean water, food and proper medical care to more than 3 million people in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi, South Africa, Uganda, Cameroon, Senegal, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified individual to join our Tanzania team as a Senior Water Engineer Field Manager, based in Dodoma Region. The Senior Water Engineer Field Manager is responsible for designing, implementing, and managing iA’s solar water pumping systems, as well as completing maintenance and providing technical support to all existing water projects.
Further, the Water Engineer will be required to coordinate and implement all water-related field activities. This includes identifying and selecting our project beneficiaries, actively facilitating community mobilization and sensitization, establishing and maintaining regular communication with the communities we serve, implementing project-related activities and providing regular reports and ongoing monitoring of the projects. This position requires frequent travel to the field to identify new projects, as well as manage all stages of iA’s solar water pumping systems.
Project Manager and Country Director in Israel
- Oversee all field operations related to water projects, including prospective project search, project construction/implementation, and monitoring and evaluation
- Supervise the on-site work of iA contractors, including hydrogeological surveys, drilling and pump tests, water quality analysis, and all construction and installation works related to ongoing water projects.
- Where relevant, work closely with the local contractor to plan, design and implement drip irrigation systems.
- Ensure contractors’ strict adherence to all project timelines, and provide Country Director and Deputy Country Director with daily updates and reports from the field.
- Work closely with iA’s international and local team and contractors to plan, design, and implement solar water pumping systems, including the system’s water distribution layout.
- Assessment of a community’s water needs and calculation of available water supply to properly size the system’s submersible water pump.
- Assess the need for maintenance work on existing water projects, identify faults and malfunctions, and provide sustainable solutions.
- Procure and source invoices of all approved system components to ensure organizational transparency and identification of reliable vendors with high quality, cost effective, items.
- Create competitive construction and maintenance budgets on Microsoft Excel using procured invoices.
- Conduct community technical trainings and sensitization to all iA water beneficiaries on water management for water and agricultural use
- Support field team and conduct effective sensitization to all iA water beneficiaries, including establishing project steering committees
- Maintain regular contact with iA’s engineers in Israel to successfully implement and monitor new solar water technologies and remote monitoring systems.
- Research and implementation of best construction practices and equipment in all iA projects.
- Support Project Manager to establish and manage relationships and communication with local, national, and international stakeholders.
- The ideal candidate is a passionate and effective team leader, with a minimum of 5 years of managerial experience, preferably working with international teams.
- Possess at least 3 years of experience managing the successful construction and installation of solar water pumping systems.
- Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal skills and a proven commitment to serve vulnerable communities.
- Professional experience working in the field of community development and exhibit detail orientation and problem-solving skills.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents, using WhatsApp, Skype, and Zoom at flexible hours.
- Proven ability to inspire teams and lead by example.
Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or professional diploma in Water Engineering or closely related field with an emphasis on water projects, Master’s Degree preferred
- At least 10 years’ experience working and overseeing water projects, specifically solar water pumping systems
- Experience supervising civil works in NGO community development projects
- Ability to design water systems using various design applications, such as
AutoCAD, ArchiCAD, GIS and GPS applications, WaterCAD, Epanet, Protastructure, etc.
- Technologically oriented with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software
- Driver’s license and off road driving experience
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours, including some weekends
- Ability to relocate to Dodoma Region in Tanzania
- High proficiency in English; both writing and speaking
- Able to speak Swahili and with a good personality
As an international organization, our team works in New York, Israel, and Africa, and is constantly on the move. To maintain close contact despite our travel schedules, we regularly use technology solutions, such as Slack and Zoom. The ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents.
Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment to [email protected] . Please make the file name your full name. Kindly note that we can only accept applications in pdf format.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.