Who we are
Girl Effect is an international non-profit that builds media that girls want, trust and need.
From chat-bots to chat-shows and TV dramas to tech, our content is reaching millions of girls in Africa and Asia to make choices and changes in their lives. Igniting their confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future.
We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts, and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships and so much more. And we use innovative technology so we can reach girls at scale. We arm girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible, so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, her health, her learning and livelihood.
When a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, her community, her country. That’s the Girl Effect.
Context of the role
In partnership with the Vodafone Foundation, Girl Effect launched the Tujibebe brand delivering social behavioural change communications (SBCC) for adolescent girls in Tanzania. Our aim is to motivate and equip adolescent girls to adopt and maintain new behaviours that will improve their mental wellbeing, sexual and reproductive health and economic empowerment.
We are looking for an ambitious and innovative SBC expert to join our team. You will have significant knowledge, skills and experience in applying social behavioural change techniques and best practice to programmes tackling gender discrimination experienced by adolescent girls.
In this role you will provide leadership to the design and implementation of our SBC programming in Tanzania, as well as collaborate with global SBC and Gender colleagues to develop tools, training and policies to strengthen Girl Effect’s capacity to deliver sustained change amongst adolescent girls.
What you will do
- Lead SBC technical support to deliver SBCC programmes on health and economic empowerment. Including but not limited to supporting research, setting programme objectives & behavioural change pathways, developing & pre-testing content and inputting into M&E frameworks
- Support the development of Tujibebe’s on/offline Girl Networks and Clubs model, ensuring this is grounded in SBC best practice.
- Work closely with the Programmes and Development (fundraising) teams giving SBC technical advice to proposal development
- Contribute to donor reporting and impact story development as required
- Keep up to date with trends on social behavioural change, girls’ rights and gender equality across Tanzania, and use this knowledge to advise and inform programme design and implementation
- Undertake training on gender-transformative approaches and with the support of the Global Gender team apply this to Tujiebe’s programming.
- Support the delivery of Girl Effect’s SBC mainstreaming and internal learning agenda, including but not limited to newsletters and lunchtime discussions.
- Work alongside the Global SBC team to design and deliver training to capacity build staff and partners, supporting colleagues to understand critical issues adolescent girls face and SBC can be applied to their work.
- Support the Global SBC team to develop tools, guidance and policies as required.
- Participate in monthly meetings, contributing to discussions on lessons learnt, programme challenges and best practice.
Who you are
- Have a commitment to gender equality and an understanding of the specific issues faced by adolescent girls
- Experience in applying SBC to programmes promoting gender equality
- Experience in designing and delivering sexual reproductive health and/or economic empowerment social behavioural change programming
- Theoretical background in or understanding of behavioural science
- Experience in conducting and applying research to support practical outcomes
- Accuracy and attention to detail, even when working under pressure
- Comfortable taking direction and working without close supervision
- Strong communication, writing and organisational skills
- Ability to remain flexible and find solutions to challenges
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude
- A creative and inquisitive mindset
What else you should know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective. In turn, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause.
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
This role is being recruited on a 12 month fixed term contract basis
This role is subject to an enhanced background disclosure
Closing date for applications: 5th September 2021